WinLids on Parade - AE6XO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5PVL, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI4ITV

KI4ITV Ham Member QRZ Page

OK,
    Let's agree that I am not "angry". I'm not really the angry type. [​IMG]
    Then let's take another look at something that happened earlier today.
    This is a direct quote from a spot page I frequent.

So we have a minimum of 7 different signals in 4 different modes, presumably in different locations, and hopefully they are all in the receiving bandpass of the PIII station because they were all obliterated by the transmission.
    You tell me what happened. Listen or Not?

Obviously, you can't always hear everything, but this ready excuse IS very convenient. To argue that it isn't, is just silly.

edited to add:
    If you are implying that I think Albert is a lid, you could not be more wrong. I respect his opinions and agree that positive suggestions would definitely help. I usually do not spew the venom that has been common in these threads, but it is becoming more difficult to refrain from doing so.
    In almost every way possible, the users of this mode have left some of us whith the impression that they truly do not care what other hams think. But, we are supposed to offer postive solutions and be nice in the face of indifference.

2. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not saying that it's not convenient, only that because it may be covenient doesn't invalidate it.

I know that the PMBO did not listen, that's a given. I have no clue if the op at the other end listened or not, or if he did, if he heard anything. You assume that he didn't listen or didn't care.  I'm just not assuming. Maybe he did listen, but he only listened to the relatively narrow Pactor bandwidth and not the Pactor III bandwidth.

I can imagine that this may be a lot of the problem. The ops listen on a given frequency, but not for the bandwidth that the eventual connection is going to result in. I'm not excusing them, but perhaps all that's required here is some education?

Mike

3. KI4ITV

Albert, Mike,
    I agree with most of what both of you are putting forward in some ways. My perception of the way Winlink is implemented and operated is not a good one.
    Frankly, I look at it as some of the older hams (and rightfully so) view the new people coming into the hobby.
    You must prove yourself and gain respect through your behavior, which in my opinion, Winlink is failing miserably.

4. KI4ITV

Oh yea,
    Thanks for the quick break from the ARRL SS!
    [​IMG]

5. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that if Albert is not a Lid on a personal basis, he is still very intimately involved in perpetuating the worst Lid problem that amateur radio has ever faced. He's an enabler if nothing else, with his constant attacks upon anyone who tries to take positive steps to let people know what these WinLids have been doing to thier fellow hams.

I lost respect for Albert earlier this year, with his growing anti-ham attitude and personal attacks upon his betters. - People who work to deal with the problem while he sticks his head in the sand in order to obfuscate, make mean-spirited Troll comments and allegedly 'work from within'.  

AG4YO has commented about Albert coming through in a pinch, but assuming that is true, I would still wonder how much damage he does to the hobby and his fellow hams in-between times ( the great majority of the time ) when he cannot talk enough trash about any amateur who tries to speak up about the problem or ( even worse! ) actually might try to DO something about it.

I quit engaging in discussion with Albert earlier this year when it became clear that he had crossed over become a Troll. - And I do not think that anybody is doing him any favors by encouraging him to show his ass in public - one more time.

Don't feed the Troll.

6. K2GSP

K2GSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Albert, you get the Winlink PMBO's to turn on the signal detection and then there can be work towards a compromise on bandwith, until then I don't see where anyone would be willing to work with Winlink. Lets face it. Winlink is causing the problem, so if they aren't willing to go the first step to help fix the problem. I see no reason to give in on anything.

KI4SXC,

Greg

7. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

That's it exactly.

The first step is theirs, not the people being QRM'ed. I'd go so far as to say the ARRL needs to apply the pressure, or we can bypasss the national amateur radio organization and go directly to regulatory relief from the FCC. The one sure way to stop the malicious interference is to get Pactor III banned from HF.

8. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is our problem only Mr Waterman keeps pushing the blame on the initiator of the session, the user. They do not want to focus the blame on the PMBO what so ever and according to Riley Hollingsworth he is dead wrong. The PMBO's can be held accountable for interference just as much as the user can. The winlink crowd just does not see it that way. That is why it is impossible to work with idiots like that.

9. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is it exactly. They have to take the first step since they are the ones causing all this interference. How many times have you heard a psk or packet signal causing interference? It could happen but the problem here is winlink and their unwillingness to budge on the signal detection schema.

We have all made simple requests and I think Albert really needs to go and ask the winlink folks to turn on signal detection on their groups. I bet he will be booted as soon as he starts mentioning stuff like that. If Albert wants us to try and work this out then why doesn't he go over to them instead of trolling here? A group of us have tried to reason with these idiots but all they know how to do is ban you.

10. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like a spanked pooch.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.