ad: wmr-1

Windy Double Activation in Gifford Pinchot NF

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Dec 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

K7AHR invited me to activation two peaks in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. We had a beautiful time hiking across frozen marshes and through windy forests.

The wind on the summits was a tad too much to set up HF in. We got our VHF contacts (mostly to operators on other summits) and headed down. Chilly up there getting blasted.

73 N7KOM

WG7X, N6SPP, KJ7JYJ and 3 others like this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, Tim that looked cold!! Thanks so much for posting again that was stunning country and great views. I love Roscoe showing you how it’s done he never seems to tire out. I can imagine him at home in front of a nice fire though sleeping it off. Nice to meet Ann also, 73.

N7KOM likes this.
  3. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you like wind , look into tree phones summit. at the top trees grow side ways pointint to the east.
    It's on the east side of the cascades. go up through Tampico..

N7KOM likes this.
  4. KF0GVX

KF0GVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Tim,
    I am trying to get started with portable vhf operating and I have a Beofeng BF-F8HP with a 15" whip. I would think that would be enough to get started but out of curiosity what frequencies do you use, 6M,2M? Thanks
    73, KF0GVX

5. KF0HJR

KF0HJR Ham Member QRZ Page

im new as well and i use 42 inch bendable tape military style and made one heck of a difference in vhf

N7KOM likes this.
  6. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi KF0GV,
    I mostly operate VHF on 146.58-fm. That is the frequency that many of the SOTA activators in the PNW use. 146.56 is a backup if it's busy. If we're struggling to get that last contact for the points, we drop down to 146.52 and call "mountaintop portable". Usually the rag chewers there don't mind a break in their chew to make a mountaintop QSO.

One note on the Baofeng: They have poor front end rejection of nearby FM signals. Many summits have radio/tv towers on them. If you are calling and don't hear anyone calling back, you may need to get away from the tower (while staying in the Activation Zone) or need to get a filter.

Good luck! 73 N7KOM

7. KF0GVX

thanks

8. KF0GVX

Thanks Tim, I will take your advise. 73 and Happy New year
    de KF0GVX

N7KOM likes this.