ad: UR5CDX-1

WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N9LCD, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows XP Professional -- updated through 26 Nov '07.

COMPUTER: Panasonic CF-48 Toughbook

POWER SOURCE: AC (wall outlet)

POWER OPTIONS: AC Always On.

INTERNET CONNECTION: Dial-up.

WEB BROWSER: Fire Fox

I was downloading a large updated program from the Microsoft update website today. The update was rated by Microsoft as a 1 hour 58 minute download.

I started the download and went to work on other matters. About 45 minutes later, I came back and the CF-48 had "DISCONNECTED" from the internet. I restarted it and came back later. Another disconnect.

After the third disconnect, I got into the Contreol Panel and set the AC power option for "ALWAYS ON" and reconnected to the internet. I came back from lunch and found a forth disconnect.

Armed with pencil & paper, I sat there monitoring the download's progress, logging megabytes downloaded and time. After TWENTY MINUTES, I got a flashing notice something like "WINDOWS WILL AUTOMATICALLY DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET IN -- SECONDS" and two options to select "DO NOT DISCONNECT" and "DISCONNECT".

Another twenty minutes later, the warning started flashing again. I clicked the "DON'T ..." option and the download continued.

I'm pretty sure that the disconnect is generated by Windows by the wording of the "WARNING".

Has anybody else experienced this problem running Windows XP Professional? Was it on a lapytop or desktop machine?

Is there a setting that I can change to stop the "Automatic Disconnect" feature. I can't find anything on the Control Panel in either "internet Options" or "Power Options" or in Fire Fox.

Is this some kind of "power saving" option limited to laptops running XP Professional?

OBSERVATION: This does not happen in my HP desk top that runs Windows XP Home. When I have a big update or download, I srart it late at night, 11:00 PM, and next morning the computer is still connected to the internet.

JERRY

N9LCD

2. W8GTF

W8GTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.