Windows XP Desktop Problem

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For some reason most of my icon button images have gone and all I get are black boxes where they used to be. This includes my toolbars and the "Start" menu. All black boxes. The icons work and passing the mouse over them brings up the description of the icon, but no images.

I remember in earlier versions of Windows, there was a "Restore My Desktop" option. But I have not found that in XP. I tried to restore the computer to an earlier time, but even 1 month back, I get a report of "No changes made".

So, I have a screen full of black boxes, (4) toolbars with black boxes, everything works, but no images on those buttons. Anyone know of a fix for this?

K2WH

2. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

What video resolution and bit depth are you using? How much memory does your video card have? Have you changed these parameters lately?

I have seen black icons with Win98 and when I dropped to a lower bit depth (16 instead of 24 ) and/or definition ( 800 X 600 ) everything came back.

I'm not advocating that you go back to the "dark ages" of video , but just suggesting that perhaps you are pushing past your card's ability to display the proper video !

Hope you find the problem . 73, Jim

3. K2WH

I'll try that, but I have been using this video setting for years. I noticed this yesterday when I was coming out of MS Flight Simulator and then shutting the computer down. As it was shutting down, I noticed the icon images were not there and the computer shut down normally. That was it. Still looking for a fix.

K2WH

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Get a copy of "Tweak UI", from the Microsoft Power Tools page: http://www.microsoft.com/windows....ys.mspx

Use that to re-build your icons.

It fixes most problems -- ther are a few other things it can do to that you might like.

5. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like "Windows Explorer" has either shut down or gone corrupt. If you can get to the MicroSoft website, stick that into the search along with "troubleshoot". That should give you a place to start looking for answers.

Good luck to my favorite neocon.
    [​IMG]

6. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I second the recommendation for TweakUI. It's saved my sanity (questionable, I know... [​IMG] ) a few times; once involving the phantom icon problem you're having.

7. K2WH

Thanks to all.  I will download that MS program but, I have fixed the problem or the computer fixed itself.  

In a previous posting I mentioned I noticed the icon images were gone coming out of MS Flight simulator.  Well after trying everything else, I rebooted MS Flight simulator, and then came back out of it and the icons are back.  I thought when I booted MS Flight simulator, it must have remembered somewhere what the icons looked like. So, logically I said let me go back into MS Flight Simulator and see if it reinstates the icons which it did.

K2WH (Your favorite Neocon)

8. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

K2WH -

Do go ahead and download TweakUI anyway.  It has a lot of features that vary from "interesting" to "how in the heck did I ever live without that!?"

THIS is the one for XP.  There is probably one for Vista somewhere out there as well.

9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I will send you a desktop restore that works well with XP, when some dumb pgm rearranges things. Don't know about the black out, have not seen this. I set the system restore several times a day, just in case. Don't know if this would help you.

Tom K8ERV Montrose Co.

10. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Pat, I went to the page in your post, and found lots of little goodies that work wonderfully. The "cleartype tweaker" is a very nice utility, and should be standard on all computers with an LCD monitor. I've thought ever since I got this monitor that the letters were just a little bit TOO sharp! Using "cleartype" broadened them up just enough that they are distinct but have some "body" to them, now, as well!

Thanks ! 73, Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.