Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4JDH, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K4JDH

K4JDH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an old Net Book from 2009. I gave it to my mother back then and she has used it very little. I had converted it to Linux Peppermint. Today I pulled the original restore disks and put Vista back on along with Linux. My wife is about to have knee surgery and will need something to surf with from the recliner. Beyond that, I don't know what this dinosaur will be good for.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Many people do nothing more than web surfing and e-mail with their computer; maybe some "Amazon" shopping. It should be sufficient for that. However, I would strongly recommend an anti-virus/anti malware program (some are available free) and an upgrade from VISTA. VISTA is no longer supported in any way, shape, or form. Win 8.1 may be a viable alternative in the MS environment.

3. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, had to put this as I thought of it straight away...

W1TRY, 2E0CIT, WS9K and 2 others like this.
  4. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would have left Linux and used Chrome . . . that would works just great for web surfing, and any online activity. I wouldn't have gone near Vista for anything online.

WA9SVD and KU4X like this.
  5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Vista can actually solve a few problems: 1. Included products- no 'lease' on Word, etc. such as '365' product might involve. 2. D.O.S. interface- while the programming interface for some Kenwood radios may have worked better with 2000 than Vista- you may find that the 'command line' interface will allow some programs to run, likewise terminal communications. Vista was an improvement regarding USB if your hardware supports USB only and has no serial port. 3. 'Automatic Upgrades'- there have been a few comments on this forum about how disruptive it is to suddenly be 'forced' to wait while the system is 'upgraded'. One example that I know about involves early problems with Windows 10 'Creator', which seemed to cause problems for folks with networked printers ( at first ). This message includes the names Vista, Word, Kenwood, Windows, etc. which are all covered by various forms of either Trademark, Copyright, or similar manufacturer's name protection. Please do not infer that this gives you legal permission to re-allocate those names.

6. K4JDH

Thanks for the comments. I may have found a safe use for this old beast. My favorite digital software is Airlink Express as a substitute for Digipan. This is another example of the "Old Dog, New Trick" story. I couldn't get it to run stable on my Win7 machine. Airlink Express is decoding now. The question is for how long.

KB0MNM likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife will not let me update the Vista computer that she uses everyday. It still works just fine.

She even let me keep the new Windows 10 computer that I wanted to upgrade her with. :)

Happy wife happy life.

I like my new computer, It is smoking hot running Win 7 and Linux. :)

KB0MNM likes this.
  8. K4JDH

It didn't run long with a screen saver running. I couldn't even wake it up. I have now disabled that along with all power saving features.
    Now decoding for 10 hours. Next the beast will go on a cooling mat and get connected to the rig.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The "no lease" Word/Office is a different animal than Office 365, and the OS doesn't matter. The "no lease" versions were available on disk, and could be used "forever," or until MS (AGAIN!) changes the file format. (Makes my Office Pro '97 obsolete, since recent Word uses a ".docx" format it can't understand, although current "365" users CAN save in a ".doc" format which Office Pro 97 can read. But either version doesn't depend upon VISTA to function. The Office 365 is now available only as a (downloaded) yearly subscription service.

One BIG problem with VISTA is that programs such as "Norton" no longer support it, at least as a new install. And MS doesn't support it, either.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for indirectly confirming what I could have said better: If you want a copy of MS Word to use for writing letters, including the ability to embed visual files ( as in bitmaps or JPEG files which would be one way to use a common inkjet- as a scanner )- then you could get the copy without a continued fee by using a standard edition of Vista. Since the time that Vista was distributed, there have been some changes in Word. For job seekers, one of the most notable changes in Word was when the 'bullet point' previously used started to become displayed and printed as a question mark. Since I had used previous versions of Word, included in Win2000 and others- I can not say exactly when that started- just that I was about ready to start learning Linux and other Unix variants in earnest. When I noted that Office 365 ( a similar tasked product ) was selling as S.a.a.S. ( Software as a Service )- as in pay for it every year that you own it, I started thinking about going to the truly 'free' products through a GNU-license instead. Then came various forms of 'validation'. Rather than 'upgrade' from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10- and because A.T.&T. made 'OAuth' or alternate 'validation' methods mandatory for the use of their Internet services- I opted for the built-in validation which comes with the Outlook e-mail software within Microsoft Office Professional 2016. This would be one way to stop 'automatic updates' from being accomplished at times when the delay involved for other work is not well tolerated. From what I understand, though 'support' has gone for Windows 7- there is no reason to expect that I should have to pay fees in addition to those of the Internet service provider for a few years. As to what browser may be used on selected sites- that is another matter. Certain folks seem to only accept Chrome or Edge, rather than Google or Internet Explorer. I have not tested Vista to see whether or not it can be used with either Chrome or Edge, yet I am pretty certain that a memory stick (USB) or other means could be used to transfer files to a machine which does. For now, I am very comfortable with the keyboard and screen size of the machine that I am using. I am pretty sure that I would find one of those tiny 'Netbooks' ( a cheap means of obtaining Win10 ) to be inconvenient for long messages... enough said.