Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KC9ECI, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K2DMV

K2DMV Ham Member QRZ Page

You know what Windows works great but Microsoft is using too much offshore outsourcing. They wanted to bring in more inexpensive workers so were favoring the Amnesty bill which just failed. They wanted the rider that increased H-1B visas and didn't get that. So now they found a way to get around that they will move offices outside of the country. One will be in Vancouver I bet they won't be creating more jobs for native Canadians either.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070707/tc_pcworld/134188
    So if one doesn't need it maybe not buying Microsoft software is a good thing for jobs.
    You can see that I know their OS works pretty well on decent hardware. But I know I don't want to use there stuff for their bad position on outsourcing. Why should I care about their profits they don't care anybody else. Use Linux instead, Open Office, and Firefox.

2. W1JCM

W1JCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had no problems with either of my Dell Vista machines, maybe I am lucky but I only buy Dell and have 8gig memory in the desktop and 2gig in the laptop. The laptop workes flawlessly connecting to other networks when I travel, much easier then XP Pro which is a great operating system too.

3. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Vista may run perfectly well if you feed it 2, 8 or 100 gigs of RAM.

The key issue IMHO is who should ultimately control your computer...you...or Microsoft?

Here's an example from a recent article in PC World:

Microsoft Becoming 'Software Police' users say

An Australian software company developed some software that would allow users to install drivers into the 64 bit Vista kernel that aren't "signed" by Microsoft.

Microsoft decided they didn't like this and got the company's security certficate revoked by Verisign and then put a detection and removal signature into Windows Defender that removes this software from your machine if you've installed it.

This software may or may not be a great idea from a security perspective...it's one of those "borderline" cases. But who should make that call? Microsoft thinks that they should make that call instead of you.

4. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I have been hearing a lot of horror stories about Vista so when I bought a new laptop last week I was a bit apprehensive since they only had Vista available on all models. I will admit that getting used to Vista will take me a little work but so far (Knock wood) I have not had a single issue with the software.

5. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have Vista running here for about 6 months now and no problems

6. VE7DCW

VE7DCW Ham Member QRZ Page

I run xp on my computer at the moment and listening to the horror stories that keep cropping up i can't see upgrading to vista even when microsoft does end support for the xp operating system.I see many people praising most of the linux operating systems and i admit it has really made me open my eyes to it.I'm really starting to believe that expression.." Linux ..the ultimate windows service pack" [​IMG]

7. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Vista may indeed "work" on your machine.

Again my concern is how much control over your computing environment do you want to scede to Microsoft? The amount of control that Microsoft has over your machine when you use Vista is well beyond anything that M$ has done with their previous operating systems.

Here's a quote from the Vista "end user license agreement" (EULA)

On the other end of the scale GNU/Linux is licensed under the GNU General Public License which guarantees you the "four freedoms".

Which is better for you as a computer user?

Here's an article which explains a bit more about what's wrong with Vista:

What's wrong with Microsoft Windows Vista

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.