Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KC9ECI, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N8PPQ

N8PPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

To answer N8HCM: I'm considering the switch becasue I have time now - I won't later. I figure it will waste a month. Forget Mac - I have a brother I can't even communicate with because he has a Mac. I assume it's the same w. linus.. I mean linux. My machines crapped b4 Christmas so I was forced to buy a new one. I got the free Vista upgrade on CD last month. It's a matter of time. I have to upgrade. I think I will partition my HD and put the Vista on one side. Does that make sense?

73 ES all that ham radio jive.

N8PPQ

2. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

There's absolutely no reason that you "have" to buy a system with Vista on it. I can think of plenty of reasons not to buy a system with Vista...built-in CD burning software that "defaults" to a file system capable of only being read by XP and Vista systems, imposing all kinds of digital restrictions management on you as a computer user...not to mention all of the assorted legacy hardware and software issues that many people are finding.

If the thought of installing Linux on a system you find a bit worrying, Dell now offers some desktops and notebooks with the Ubuntu Linux distro pre-installed in the USA (They're not yet offering them outside the USA). It's nice to see that consumers finally have a choice!

But honestly, it isn't all that difficult to do it yourself.

I don't understand what you mean by not being able to communicate with someone because they have a Mac or Linux computer.

I've been running Linux for several years and have never had a problem communicating with anyone.

I don't understand why you would "have" to upgrade to Vista? Because Microsoft says so? You should upgrade when and if you feel like it!

As for dual booting, yes that is indeed an option that many people use. You run Linux on one side for anything involving internet connections...because its much more secure...and use Windows for things like playing games.

The Free Software Foundation has a site called "Bad Vista" that has some useful information on what's wrong with Microsoft Windows Vista.

Bad Vista

73 de VE3SRE

3. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a big on for me. I'll decide how to use my media files, thank you very much.

Try installing OS/2. [​IMG]

And it's extremely rare that I can't communicate with anyone using OS/2.

Dual booting is for wusses. [​IMG]

Try tri-booting XP, Linux, and OS/2. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Games are the only reason I still have XP on my main machine. Won't use it for anything else.

Vista is very bad Ju-Ju. [​IMG]

4. VE3SRE

Throw in FreeBSD Unix and make it a "quad boot" [​IMG]

Here's another reason not to buy Windows Vista, it spies on you...regularly harvesting data from your machine and sending it off to the folks in Redmond. And if you think the "Windows Genuine Advantage" (WGA) tool for XP was bad, this "data harvesting" is much worse according to this article on "Softpedia":

<a href="http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsof
    t-58752.shtml" target="_blank">Softpedia article on Microsoft harvesting data from Vista users</a>

5. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

404 - not found

QRZ seems to be doing something to the URL. There's some garbage you have to manually edit out for the URL to work.

6. VE3SRE

Okay...I'll try the link bouncing it through &quot;tinyurl&quot;.

Here goes!

link

Edited to add...yup! That Works! [​IMG]

7. WA3KYY

WA3KYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably.  I've been running Vista Home Premium on a custom built machine since the 1st week it was available to purchase using all the stock utilities.  All my hardware works flawlessly and it has not crashed once. This is the first OS on a PC that has not crashed on me.  It even supports my hardware better than XP MC 2005 does. (I have a dual boot setup with each OS on it's own drive.)

To be honest however, I am only running applications that are certified to run under Vista with the exception of one game I play regularly.  That game very occasionally freezes but has not crashed the OS.  I simply use Task Manager to kill the game and reload. The publisher explicitly states on their web site that they do not support the game under Vista so I only have myself to blame when a problem occurs  [​IMG]

As a final thought, I would probably not recommend a Vista upgrade to folks unless the hardware was Vista certified. If you are considering the upgrade route download and run the Vista Upgrade Advisor. It will highlight real and potential hardware and software issues with your current setup. You ignore those issues at your own risk.

Mike WA3KYY

8. M0ELS

M0ELS Ham Member QRZ Page

Vista will refuse to run and then delete any software it deems to be unlicenced or illegal.
    If you have dodgy sofware then dont use vista

9. VE3SRE

IMHO Vista is &quot;dodgy software&quot; and therefore I won't use it.

Who should control what software and/or data is on your computer?

You...or Microsoft?

My vote is that you should control your computer.

10. K7RJP

K7RJP Ham Member QRZ Page

like i said before, i have vista premium and have no problem i learned a trick tho if you have a program that
    wont run under Vista all you do is righ click on icon on desktop go to properties then compatability and you can run the program like it was on Xp or 98 or what ever winows you Have. doing that the program will work fine
    try this trick it works well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.