Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KC9ECI, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W6TMI

W6TMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah I run firefox as well. I cant stand i.e. 7.

I hadnt done much gaming up until now, I bought my son a laptop similar to mine, we've been playing battlefield II all weekend, with nary an OS related problem.

2. n1ydx

n1ydx Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium on it on June 12th.

Two hours later had to reinstall operating system ( My Fault )

After taking off unnecessary programs it is running great. Intel Duo 2 with 2 gig of memory.

Still a little long in the tooth in bootup but acceptable. The wi-fi grabs a signal within 30 seconds

N1YDX - Lee

3. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was advised of any New O/S wait for Service Pack 2 or a newer Version buggy what else anyone here remember DOS 4.0 was buggy ? Netscape ver 4.7 Crashed Buggy also.

BTW I will stay with what I have , As soon as I get to it I'll give LINUX a try.

Yes Walmart is selling Dell Computers with LINUX installed someone proabably subscribes to the IT journals. ¬†knew that for how many weeks [​IMG]

4. n1ydx

n1ydx Ham Member QRZ Page

Yupper - Had the Vista Laptop for a over a week now.

Price: $759.00 w/15.4 Inch Screen
    Vista Home Premium
    Intel Dual-Core Mobile Processor T2060
    1MB L2 Cache 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB
    2048 MB DDR2 Dual Channel Memory ( 2 Gig )
    160 GB Sata Drive

Runs great after removing all the GateWay Poop-Programs.

M$ Home Office 2003 runs fantastic
    Cyberlink Low Grade DVD Movie Player is very good
    No crashes after my first mistake.

You cannot pay $400.00 for a machine with Vista and expect it to run right. Price is right but hardware won't meet Vista requirements.

IMHO - You get what you pay for

N1YDX - Lee
    PS: Upgraded my neighbors desktop which was a slow-running hog with M$ Home Edition

1. Put in 2 Gig of Memory - up from 256KB (yikes)
    2. Put in secondary Hard Drive w/200 Gig to keep operation system drive clean
    3. Upgrade Home Edition to XP Professional
    * Runs like a slick goose in hyperdrive. He's Impressed

Lee

5. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got up to eight machines running on my home network...the fastest being an AMD XP2400.

All of my machines are capable of running a modern up-to-date operating system. It's just that the operating system isn't Windows Vista...it's GNU/Linux.

Do I want to invest more money in buying a new computer just to run Windows Vista? The answer is no.

6. N8PPQ

N8PPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well! I jumped out of bed this morning, all fired up and ready to do the Vista upgrade. I was a bit concerned about LoTW and other programs not working right afterward so I checked here. I see three (THREE) pages of complaints about Vista. So here I sit. Sooner or later I'm gong to have to upgrade. I don't know what to do. Halp!

7. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

why do you want to switch to vista now? unless you have a specific reason (to run some software that's not available on your current setup) there's no good reason to rush into this ...

before you upgrade you should backup all your stuff ... (really--this is the part everyone wants to gloss over) ... and you'll probably have a better time if you do a fresh install of vista (instead of doing an upgrade installation over whatever you're using now).

8. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Over Field Day weekend I has the DISPLEASURE of using Vista for the first time for logging. My friend and I went out to pick up a USB keyboard so as not to use the one on the laptop to avoid spills & junk getting inside. First we had to find a Vista compatable keyboard and we did. It told us to load the software first which failed miserably then we plugged it in to see if it would plug & play....NOT.

Wound up not using the keyboard because Vista said that we were using a non Vista compatable keyboard despite what the box said. After the contest we were unable to copy the data file or at least it was saying it would take 9 minutes to do so, funny because it took 30 seconds to install the logging software.

I know one day I'm going to be forced to switch like I did with XP, hope they fix the numerous bugs on this one. I don't understand how they could release this OS with so much trouble.

9. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys really owe it to yourselves to try out Ubuntu Linux.

10. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Some of my friends have been pushing Linux on me as an option instead of eventually having to buy a system with Vista on it. I used to love Win 98SE and I held off as long as I could to get a system with XP. Basically I went from 98 to XP kicking and screaming but eventually I have grown to like XP. I do not recall XP having this many issues when it was first released and don't understand why they released it obviously knowing there were issues. Another friend suggested I buy a Mac and I'm honestly considering it for my next laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.