ad: k1jek

Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KC9ECI, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

2. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've read a number of reports about Vista and nobody is satisfied with it. Why would they put it on the market knowing it can cause huge problems for their customers ?

G0GQK

3. W8EFA

W8EFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Think there may be an issue with buying a compete PC with Monitor and OS for less than $400.00 new? Think it could be the system or the apps on such a crappy PC?? You get what you pay for.

In fact looking at your report none seem to be OS crashes, all Application problems.

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Vista may be bad, but NOTHING can compare with IBM's OS-2 for being the worst operating system ever devised for mass distribution.

OS-2 was so bad that you had to pay someone to even dispose of brand new, unopened, installation packages!

Glen, K9STH

5. KC9ECI

The application that keeps crashing is Explorer.exe. Not to be mistaken for IE7. The price of the system isn't important. When I purchase a product new in the box, be it from Best Buy, Circuit City, (Insert your favorite store here), I should be able to expect it to work properly.

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

You're right, Tom, and JonnyNapalm--who on Digg commented about your plight--is a real nematode.

I don't know about you guys but the System Stability chart looks awfully similar to my 401k's performance. [​IMG]

I mentioned this elsewhere before, but when users buy a new computer and start offloading or adding programs left and right--and without restarting between a few of those actions--the Registry gets all messed up...which I suspect is the culprit here.

I know it's a _real_ pain, but maybe your best bet is to wipe the drive, reinstall the system software using the provided CD (or the virtual restore drive on your hard disc--I don't know how e-Machines are set up for that), run all the Windows updates, _then_ start deleting programs a few at a time, restarting, then rinse...lather...repeat. Also, do you have a back-up drive? If so, after reinstalling Vista and downloading its updates, back it up. That way, if you're hosed again at least you won't have to start from absolute zero again.

7. N2IZE

N2IZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell the truth, is your name Steve Ballmer ??

If you look at his hardware list you'll see his hardware is pretty much standard, up to date, and compatable with what most people are running. There is no reason why Vista should be so unstable on such a system. Nor, is there any reason why the "Made for Windows" apps should be so unstable. If he was running very old hardware, or some bleeding edge hardware or unusual hardware I could perhaps see problems. But, unless he is doing something very wrong, or somehow got the system infected with some sort of malware, a standard out of the box system should be that problematic.

Now, it would be interesting to see how it would run under XP compared to Vista. Or, dare I say, how the same machine would run under another OS altogether.

8. N2IZE

N2IZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell the truth. have you loaded up lots of old programs and lots of stuff you downloaded on line ?? If so you probably have a messed up registry as well as a system full of viruses, trojans, spyware, malware and assorted junk. Windows is an extremely tender operating system and is easily corrupted by even the slightest things. Given enough time it will usually corrupt itself.

if you have downloaded a lot of stuff you might consider consider a clean sweep and a full reinstall.

9. KC9ECI

Let's see, Firefox, Thunderbird, ACLog, TrustedQSL, MixW, and UI-View32.

10. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just enjoying all this. I'm running Fedora Core 5. Now, I did find out Bill Gates owns part of the electric company here. We have blackouts at least once a week. Wonder if there is a connection?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.