ad: hrd-2

Windows Upgrade And Flex Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KA4DPO, Jun 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just saw where Microsoft is planning an upgrade to Windows 11. I am wondering if Flex 6000 series owners will experience more compatibility issues. I know there were problems switching the Flex 6000 over from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Seems to me that Flex should just write their own OS and be done with it.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen that almost as many time as (and years?) as the "Kenwood going out of business" story.:rolleyes: Where did you "saw" that?:confused:

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

If the forced upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 that MS implemented is any indicator, there is a high likelihood that there will be problems. If Flex doesn't have their drivers "approved" it's almost a foregone conclusion.

As far as a Flex OS goes, it would probably be easier to develop in the long run. Since Linux is open-source, it would be relatively straightforward for use an existing distro as a basis, and just modify the app and interface. Then they'd be free from MS's heavy-handedness.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. KK4NSF

I saw it myself on CNET, and TechRadar just yesterday. CNN also has something about it on their website. I haven't seen an actual copy yet, but one source seems to indicate that a bootleg copy is already out there for download...... but I don't think I'll be using it. :eek:

5. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

With all due respect (and that isn't meant to be derogatory) I'll believe it when Microshaft:rolleyes: comes out with an official release. There have been (so-called) versions of Win 11, and even Win 12 floating around for at least a couple of years now; none were from or by MS. All I see as of now is a (Beta?) release of Win 10, ver. 21H1.

7. KK4NSF

• good point..... but it IS being discussed in the media as if it's release is emminent. Even so, I think I'll stick with Linux.

KF5RRF likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

9. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While I work with Windows systems and OS/400 for my day job, I'm more involved with what goes on in Linux/UNIX circles outside of work.

I don't really know a whole lot about Windows 10X. But, it looks like 10X is dead-on-arrival, regardless - https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/18/22442421/microsoft-windows-10-x-canceled-official

Since Windows 11 appears to be just another version of Windows 10 with some enhancements, most things should still work OK. I'd be more concerned about what changed in the APIs as opposed to device drivers. That's where the "breakage" is liable to happen.

KK4NSF likes this.
  10. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you realize the gravity of what you just said? That's like saying my truck with a 5' bed is slightly short for what I want to put in the back. I should just develop my own truck that has a 5'6" bed. Same exact product, but it has an extra 6 inches and that requires everything that is entailed in building a new truck from the ground up.

KA4DPO likes this.