Windows updates without your permission.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by VE3SRE, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like Microsoft has been caught installing "stealth" updates on your computer without your permission. Even if you have Windows Update turned "off" it installs certain updates anyway.

There are often very good reasons for you to do your patching yourself instead of leaving it to Microsoft. Sometimes Microsoft "goofs" and pushes through an inadequately tested patch that "breaks" some other software on your machine...for instance one of their August patches "broke" Skype.

But when you have Windows installed on your machine you agree to Microsoft's "end user license agreement" which grants Microsoft the right to do these kinds of things.

Another thing is that if Microsoft has the ability to install anything they want on your machine, who says that they won't use that ability for anti-competitive purposes?

You can read more at the links below:

E-week article

Microsoft Watch article

Windows Secrets article

2. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

Whose computer is it? Obviously Bill Gate$! Maybe you own the hardware, but M$ tells you what they'll allow to work on your box. But if you use Win$ and M$ programs, M$ owns your data, because most of it is in some proprietary format that they can change whenever they want.
    The "updates" that M$ sends out are, IMHO, very close to spyware or trojans, just like the Sony Rootkit from a few years back. I don't like things that install on my hardware without MY permission!
    I've got two windowboxes around. One with IE sent to lala land and auto updates OFF. On the other, I had to un-neuter IE, and have (or had) it set to notify me of updates. I fear it got updated and will have to check to make sure it still works!
    Now if I could just figure out how to turn off those anoying little "bubble messages" (your computer may be at risk ... or you have unused icons on your desktop) Life would be good.
    It would be even better if I could change the "Win$ is saving your settings" etc messages to "Win$ is saving your viruses" or "Win$ is corrupting your file system" it would be even better.
    But the ultimate would be if somebody could tell me how to get MMSSTV to run under wine! Then I'd be completely Redmond free!
    de Bob

3. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

The hardware is yours. The software is actually still the property of Microsoft and you only legally have a "license" to use it.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I got a royalty check every time someone READ my book. It's a great scam if you can pull it off!

5. N2IZE

N2IZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Which is why I avoid the use of Microsoft products. I try to use ONLY software that is published under the GNU public license, the BSD license or "free" software licenses. I also use "homebrew" software which is software I write myself.

I like to have an idea what is going on on my system. When comes time to upgrade I like to know exactly what is being uopgraded and why and I like to have the final decision regarding that upgrade.

I like to have control over my own property. If I need a systems administrator I will hire one. I don't wan't Steve Ballmer acting as my sys adminin secret and without my permission.

6. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you read the terms of license, I'm sure it probably states they can do that.

You never really own software, you just own the right to use it, really.....

7. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

M$ has cut there own throat so may times here of late that it's a wonder that they have any throat left!

Just another sign to me that LINUX is on it's way up. - People are getting tired of this ****!

What is REALLY funny is that the U.S. is really the only country to even "embrace" M$, the others are primarily LINUX. (or some other "freebie)

I wonder just how long it will be before M$ is no longer on top? If they keep this up, they will come crashing down a lot sooner than I thought about 5 years ago!

8. n1ydx

n1ydx Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I let M$ do what it wants. Never any problem with my XP Pro and I'm learning the Vista curve.

But sometimes the bubbles do annoy me, so I just click them and have another beer.

N1YDX - Lee

9. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

For this reason I have never intentionally installed ANY patches or updates. MS is going, or has gone to pot.

Tom K8ERV Montrose Co.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

For this reason I have never intentionally installed ANY patches or updates. MS is going, or has gone to pot.

Tom K8ERV Montrose Co.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.