Windows 7 vs Windows 10?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KELVIN44, Jul 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KELVIN44

KELVIN44 QRZ Member

I am formatting my computer, I am struggling to decide on which windows to install.
    Windows 10 does not ask the user whether to install updates or not.Let me know your views on which to choose a version of the window.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

7 Pro is the way to go.

VK6APZ, W9RAC, N6UH and 3 others like this.
  3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

That issue is ancient history. If you set up the OS correctly, you won't have any issues with updates.

I have been running Windows 10 Home (Version 1903) on three of my computers (2 HP laptops and a HP desktop), for several years now. Early on, the update process would go so far as to wake up your computer in the middle of the night, to install updates. Now, if your doing something important and don't want to be disturbed, you can put off downloading the updates for up to 35 days.

I currently have two updates that have been downloaded and are waiting for a reboot. They have been waiting for about 2 weeks. The only notice I received was when they initially downloaded. Since then, they just sit there quietly. I have already updated my other laptop and maybe I will get the chance to update this one today.

Only once, have I run into a problem with an update. I had a bad download and had some issues, when the computer restarted. But I just backed out the update, downloaded the updated again, and everything was fine. All it cost was a little time.

Depending on which version of W10 you install, initial updates may take a while.

4. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Win10 Pro.

Ed

N1DQQ and WS4JM like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Win 7 support stops January 2020.

I've had zero problems with Win 10. I do install updates, they're kind of needed.

One issue I noted with Win 10 is "Office" (like "Office 365") which is an important and powerful app, at least for me, had some glitches with the early Win 10 and could hang up sometimes. Updates fixed this. Updates for anti-virus/anti-malware are important.

6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i like xp. i use w7. i use linux 12.4,its flawless,never a problem.
    got a deal on beautiful refurb w10,16 gig ram,3.6 ghz. thought it would be fast,not so.
    i hate w10, not turned on in a month. dont like user interface, nothing about it.
    yes it could just be me.
    my choice; win xp.

KD4ZMV and M0IYI like this.
  7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you run Win7, be careful that the processor you are running supports Win7. The Kaby Lake processor does not work well with Win 7 and I found that out the hard way. Some programs including HRD I use for logging would not work correctly but when I switched to Win10, problem solved. I kept Win7Pro running a long time for fear Win 10 might cause issues but in fact, it has worked just fine. Don't fear upgrading to 10 now.

WA4SIX likes this.
  8. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 10 with Start10 from Stardock to get rid of the stupid Win10 menu. As a previous poster stated Win7 will soon be out of support. You can run it after January but it would be a good idea not to connect it to the internet once the patches stop coming.

N2AMM and WZ7U like this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

"Official" support for Win 7 from Microshaft ends in January of next year (2020.) THAT means there will (probably) be no more security updates, so any vulnerabilities that still exist will NOT be covered. As much as I hate to say it, I'd have to say go with Windoze 10. Even Win 8.1 seems to be living on borrowed time, but my Win 8.1 machine isn't quite able to run Win 10 with any semblance of usability.

N2EY likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, Win XP is no longer "supported," and using it on the Internet is (or can be) dangerous, esp. w/o aftermarket protection software. Win 7 (I believe) was similar, and even Win 8.1 was similar enough to XP to not have a huge learning curve. Win 10 is a totally different "critter." Unfortunately, I have to go from XP to Win 8.1 to Win 10 on various computers, and it DOES get confusing at times.