ad: UR5CDX-1

Windows 7 machines Upgraded to Win 10

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA9JLM, Nov 30, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no COA sticker or product code on the Win7 XPS-8700; there never was one. That's why I was griping about Dell.

2. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it might be an issue with a new install but supposedly upgrading will work ok. I'll try it.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you looked in the docs that came with the computer ? Sometimes the stickers are there for you to affix.

Did You buy the computer new ?

4. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, FWIW...

I have a Dell Optiplex... I want to say 650 or 670 off the top of my head, but don't hold me to that... that was originally The Boss's machine. Unlike the 760's I obtained later, it came only with Win XP. It did NOT have the appropriate Dell OEM Key in the BIOS, so I had to actually buy a Win 7 upgrade for it via NewEgg.

When the time came to update it to Win X... I had no issues, not with the key or anything else.

That machine now serves as the shack computer, although it's about to go out of service and on the shelf. My current "work desk" machine will be taking it's place, as THAT machine is going to be replaced by the aforementioned 9010. (Necessary as I will need to remote into work from time to time now, and the 760 just isn't beefy enough for what it needs to do)

The only time I've had key issues with Win X was when I worked on a friend's laptop (a Lenovo)... a long story, but it turned out I had an invalid (well, already used/registered once) key from the "guaranteed never used before" seller. Fortunately, I had access to another Win X key that I could use for him. Like I said, another story for another time.

5. KA9JLM

I thought there was a combination of keys to hold on boot, To get to the service/maintenance menu.

True, No, Maybe so ?

If not, There is software to get the key.

6. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever since windows 10 dropped, I've given it chances here and there on a whim.

I think the longest it's ever stayed installed on one machine was about a week before getting either reverted back to windows 7 or going to linux. Then the linux machine lasts about another few days before I get fed up with the lack of compatibility with virtually all my software, and I go back to 7.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next new operating system where Microsoft comes out with another ground breaker like XP and 7 were.

7. KA9JLM

I did give 8 and 10 a try years ago, I was not impressed.

I guess that is why I have my doubts now.

I can make 7 do what I want. So it seems silly to change now, just to keep up with MRS and MR Jones. I do not need support from MS either.

I drive a old car also. :) One that I can work on.

KN4ULD and KK6NOH like this.
  8. W3WN

Ummm, you're thinking of the boot sequence to get into the BIOS. It was <F8> on some Dells, if memory serves.

I was referring to the Windows license key. The older Dell's, like this specific one, had a value for this key stored in the system BIOS for XP but not for Vista/Win 7.

9. W3WN

Allegedly, there isn't going to be one. Win X is supposed to be THE last OS you will ever need... in part because every 6 months or so, they issue a major update (basically a new OS, not just bug fixes).

Of course, that will change. One day. One way or another.

10. W3WN

Micro$oft propaganda not withstanding... you do not HAVE to update. If Win 7 is working well for you, and I'm glad to hear it is, then stick with it.

Just be aware that Micro$oft will stop providing support, including patches, bug fixes, and especially security updates. Eventually, software will no longer be available for it (older apps won't be patched, or will be replaced with newer incompatible ones, new apps won't run on 7 in the first place). Websites will start warning you about obsolete browsers. 3rd party browsers (like Chrome) will also no longer be working or be able to be updated.

I say this just to warn you what will happen. We saw it happen with Vista, with XP, with Win 2K, with NT 4. To say nothing of Win 9x, Win 3.x, etc. It has happened before. It will happen again.