ad: SDRKits-1

Windows 7 machines Upgraded to Win 10

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA9JLM, Nov 30, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

So it was a “wide-open Vista,” eh?

G3ZPF likes this.
  2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have four laptops that I upgraded using the windows insider software. No problems with any of them. I also have four desktops that I upgraded to win 10. two are intel atom soc (system on chio MOBOs. two are intel celeron SOCs . You can get the SOC openbox MOBOs from new egg for $50~$75. and up if you are looking for server boards.

They make a great computer for running WSJT X and Ham Radio Deluxe.

I highly recommend Open Box SOC motherboards. But, they may not come with all the extras that a factory new SOC MOBMOBOs O does. May be missing driver disks which you can Download off the manufacturers website. Usually they are not returnable. Once you buy them, they are yours.

But, Win 10 runs like a charm on the ones I have built. I especially like the ones that have AMD processors. They usually run rings around intel processors and have much better graphics. The AMD MOBOs make superb home theater machines.

Good Luck. In my opinion Windows 7 is the OS that Win 10 should have been. Win 7 is being fazed out in January 2020. Win 7 worked perfectly on any system I ever put it on.

Microsoft does not recommend that you upgrade an old laptop. They highly recommend buying a new one. But my experience is upgrading old laptops work fine. You may need to add more memory. I even put Win 10 on an HP Stream 7 tablet and it works perfectly on the Stream 7's Atom processor.

KA9JLM likes this.
  3. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, now I remember... My Dell did come with a Windows 8.1 disk/license, which I have, but the installed OS was a "downgraded" Win 7. It seems I should be able to "upgrade" Win7 to Win10 without need of a COA product key which I don't have. I will install Win10 on one of my clone disks and suss it out in the spring when I'm less busy.

A little wrinkle... my previous WinXP system resides as a VM on Win7-- it was the easiest way to migrate. I wonder if the WinXP VM will function on the Win 10 upgrade...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  4. KN4ULD

KN4ULD Ham Member QRZ Page

The last good W OS was W 98, where a user could actually make real changes. Miscroshaft doesn't want the end user to do anything but buy their product use it and give information to MS. All of you who think you are disabling things I would like to know if this is done through registry or code changes, and just what changes. By the time W 7 came out, you couldn't even access things in the registry to change, even MS using remote access had BIG ISSUES with fixes.

I long ago removed the KBxxxxxxx W 10 update thing

I still have a system with W 98 I used as a Honeypot when I used to submit intrusion logs to D-Shield, maybe I'll fire it up one day again for fun.

https://isc.sans.edu

Still running W 7 on two home built systems.

5. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

The OS is called Windows. Windows are for looking through. Microsoft owns your Windows-- it's in the license. People shouldn't be surprised that Microsoft is watching them through *their* Windows.

I once read about a rural old-timer who decided not to have a telephone. He said he didn't want a bell in his house that anyone in the world could ring whenever they wanted. Now people carry bells in their pants, and have windows in their houses that Microsoft can look through whenever it wants .

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    NK2U and KN4ULD like this.
  6. KN4ULD

KN4ULD Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL your post reminds me of the song Electric Eye by Judas Priest.

For the most part, anywhere a person goes today where there are other inhabitants, and even where there are none, can pretty much count on being watched or monitored in some way.

WZ7U likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Normally, A Dell goes by the Service number that is on the sticker affixed to the computer.

You can go to the Dell website and get the information for your computer, Including the key that you need.

8. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure about that... The XPS 8700 didn't have a COA product key sticker. These machines have a generic SLP key (System-locked Preinstallation) that buggers the license transfer process in some way, as I understand it...

9. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The key is embedded in the system BIOS on the motherboard. It should also be on the M$ sticker on the case.

The VM ought to load with no issues, dependent of course on the VM management software.

10. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah. If you have the Dell OEM version of Windows installed, no issues on upgrading.

Now if you have a generic or other version, which isn’t able to read they Key from the Dell BIOS, that could be an issue.