ad: k1jek

Windows 7 machines Upgraded to Win 10

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA9JLM, Nov 30, 2019 at 6:55 PM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering if anyone has a computer that originally came with Win7, Then you updated it to Win 10 ? For Free. o_O

Does it still work, As good as Win 7 did ? Did it slow your computer way down ?

Does Win 10 try to kill your your old hardware with every update ?

I was just wondering how the Free Win 10 upgrade is working for You.

A upgrade seems to be Linux.

Are all of your Cores still working and up to speed ? Test before guess. :cool:

Seems MS wants to rule the world... Telling you that you must update is a joke.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have NUMEROUS computers that I upgraded from 7 to 10 that still work fabulously. No issues whatsoever.

One of them (my "digital modes" computer in the shack - did not pass the test for Win10 compatibility. It's the only one that I could not upgrade.

Dave
    W7UUU

WQ2H, N1DQQ, NE1U and 4 others like this.
  3. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here works like a champ. :D

N1DQQ and NE1U like this.
  4. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Using one now... a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop. I downloaded the free upgrade when it was first offered years ago and have been maintaining the BIOS, the OS, and windows software. I've also seriously upgraded its hard-drive to a large SSD, maxed out its RAM, added the better Lenovo dock, and a nice dell monitor.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 7:23 PM
    NE1U likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I upgraded several. Every one of them had issues under Win10. Random built-in applications would quit working (e.g., even "Calculator" stopped working).

Some of them rolled back to Win7 successfully, mostly work boxes. The home machines got upgraded to Linux. :)

I did some fresh installs of Win10 that fared better than upgrades. None of them were as stable as Win7 or Linux.

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Switching from Win7 to Win10 speeded up my laptop and solved several niggling issues.

Win10 "Problems' are greatly exaggerated or "made up" by a few rabid complainers.

N1DQQ, W4RAV, W4NNF and 3 others like this.
  7. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Upgraded 3 different computers from win 7 to win 10 no problems with any of them. The vast majority of the issues with upgrading from 7 to 10 are operator issues.

N1DQQ and W7UUU like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger that.
    I've also disabled most, if not all, the microsoft "spyware."
    How to do this is somewhat involved. And, how to do it is all over the web...
    Cortana? What's that? So many others were disabled as well.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 7:34 PM
    N5PAR likes this.
  9. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there’s a whole bunch of spyware in Windows 10 that collect and sent all kinds of data to Microsoft. I disabled all I could find.

10. N4XRD

N4XRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Now about to begin going from Win 7 to Win 10 on a small peer to peer network of five PC's... should be fun! Some of the units are from the XP days so that may be an issue. But new Win 10 desktops are fairly inexpensive if/when needed. The shack computer I am using now was a hackers Win 7 I saved from going into a dumpster. Started with the shop vac resurrecting this one. Will start moving this desktop to 10 right after I post this comment. Been on the upgrade path since starting with a 640k 8088 two floppy (no hard drive) machine back in the day.

73, N4XRD