Windows 7 and XP are vulnerable to a major security exploit

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WQ6N, May 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KA9JLM, G4COE and N3AT like this.
  3. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

More irrefutable evidence

4. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Eeeeeer, that juice at the bottom of the fridge, the darn fridge is self powered.

It runs on juice .

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The "green stuff" in the back? It's either fresh lettuce or very old bacon... :confused::(:rolleyes:

6. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

-deleted-

7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

wow.... that's what I did to most of my Windows OS's. I've been running Linux for a number of years now, and have never been computer-happier! :D

8. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting comments regarding Cyber Hygiene, or the lack of it in some cases. Fully agree that if its not patched or no longer supported just don't connect and you will be fine. Of course the next oncoming botnet will be cell phone based and with 5G it will be even faster.
    As for old hardware, take a look at Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities. I will defer preaching to the choir on this thread.
    A good challenge would be to put up a stateful firewall and watch all those IP bounce off your dynamic IP address. Static IP's are worse by far. One can take one more step toward a continuous monitoring capability, and stand up a ELK (ElasticSearch) (it's Free) server which will allow you to map out the sources for all that stuff bouncing off your external aperture and workstations. One recommendation is to put the ELK server in a safe LAN segment and not in your DMZ. Oh and most importantly, have fun with the data.
    One more free tool is OpenVAS vulnerability analysis by Greenbone. At least you can put together a risk posture that any parent would be proud of. Both applications can be found within Kali Linux (that why you want to protect the server for obvious reasons).

9. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If someone wants to bad enough, all operating systems are vulnerable, all of them.

10. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

True but some are worse than others. The goal is to make it as difficult for the hacker as possible.