Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4KWH, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Norton is the most horrendously bloated POS on the planet. McAfee is a close 2nd.

When my wife was still working for Verizon, her home computer had to have Norton on it, or she wouldn't be allowed to connect remotely to their system. It took her machine (XP, at the time) a good 20-30 minutes from "power on" until the desktop was usable. When she retired, I ripped Norton off and installed AVG. The boot time to usable desktop dropped to 5 minutes, tops.

Norton will never, ever get anywhere near any computer here.

KG5KOG, WA4BCS and WU8Y like this.
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

LOOP

10 "I hate Windows--it takes a whole lot of work to get it running the way I want it to."

20 "Then buy a Mac."

30 "I don't like Apple's locked operating system--I can't tweak it."

40 "Then try Linux."

50 "No, I don't want to learn how to make an operating system work."

60 "Well, then everybody knows how Windows works."

70 EXIT LOOP IF You throw your hands up with, "To hell with it!"

END LOOP

KB2SMS, KC8VWM, WJ4U and 3 others like this.
  3. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It think it is impossible to day this strongly enough:

No one should EVER use Internet Explorer.

Microsoft even tells you not to use it. I would not use IE if I had the most robust Antivirus and Malware blocking software on my computer.

4. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If this is your attitude, then you belong squarely in the Apple camp.

With Linux if you need any support beyond manuals and web searches, you can pay for it. Windows works in exactly the same way. If you need technical support for Windows that you cannot find in a manual, Wiki, FAQ, or forum you will pay for it.

The crucial difference there is with Windows, you already had to pay for the OS. (This disregards the fact that basic architecture of Linux [and Apple]--with its kernel, and common dependencies--is much more elegant and efficient than Windows).

So, again, if you want your computer to 'just work' as if by magic; and if you want a certain level of free support when things go wrong: buy an Apple.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I used Netscape exclusively, until AO-_ell killed it off. (For the "H"f it, if you get my drift.) I immediately switched to Firefox and T-bird. IE (any flavor) was never used intentionally. Same goes for "Edge" and other M$ browsers. They are ALL "bowsers."(ARF!:(:rolleyes:)

6. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Ron, you made my point.

7. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm holding out for Windows 11

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Always wait for Service Pack 2. :eek:

KF5RRF, KA9JLM and N2EY like this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What are you talking about ?

Win 10 must be up to service pack 2000 by now.

It was just renamed as auto update. o_O

KK5JY likes this.
  10. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If for some unknown reason you absolutely must use Windows 10, you may want to decrapify it first. Be sure to read the instructions on the tin before using...

(NOTE: Do not run this on an existing Windows 10 installation. It should be run on a freshly (re-)installed system)