Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4KWH, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, and Disconnect.

If pop-ups are your only concern, uBlock Origin should be all you need. If you want to go all the way, install all 4.

Keep in mind that the odd site my be less than friendly to one or all of the above add-ons, but you can disable them on a per site basis.

2. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Switch to 8.1, I'll NEVER have 10 in this house. My main machine is Linux Mint. I use a Win 8.1 machine for ham stuff.

NK2U likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

How hard was it for you to keep Win 8 not update to 10 auto Magically ?

I think a lot of problems are with people accepting a FREE 10 update.

Nothing is totally FREE. o_O

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:eek:

5. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The best part about Linux is that if you find a bug, you can fix it yourself.

[​IMG]

N7EKU likes this.
  6. KK5JY

This is also true of a lot of amateur radio software. I have contributed bug fixes to a number of projects (as have many other people).

Fldigi, FreeDV, WSJT-X, and many others are all open-source, community-written projects. Even ARRL's TQSL is open-source, although the license is very different from most open-source projects.

Linux is actually a natural fit in the hamshack, because it's "open source" in the same sense as many of the most popular amateur radio software packages. :cool:

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem with Linux is..."You have to install it yourself, fix it yourself, make it a second hobby". Ahem.

W4CDO, W1TRY, N5PAR and 1 other person like this.
  8. KK5JY

I see you haven't actually tried it yourself. Ahem. :)

KF5RRF and KA9JLM like this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It does require that you know what you are doing.

KF5RRF likes this.
  10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is it! I don't dispute Linux advantages, but it's a Windows world at the 'consumer' level.

It's simply too much of an investiment in time for those that are not interested in the inner workings of an operating system, and do not have an 'in-house' Linux person to help.

The day MS stops supplying Windows to PC manufacturers for $5 a pop, and users are forced to pay full price for the OS, then Linux will become an 'option' for a lot more people.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    N5PAR and WU8Y like this.