Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4KWH, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For Linux distros, Mac OS is an advanced one of them.:)

I use Macs mostly and zero anti-virus stuff. Never had a malware intrusion, ever, and I leave these network connected 24/7 even if I go away. Even the internal WiFi seems more "sensitive" than any of the Windows laptops I've ever used (lots of them), it will pick up my signal from home if I go down the block, 4-5 houses away...which the others can't seem to do. (Might be an "antenna" thing.)

The Gen 6 Mac has an internal GPU for video acceleration that is really quite remarkable.

I also like that on the MacBooks when you want to really light up a subject for a photo, the entire screen is a big flashbulb and very powerful. They're on their game, but you do pay a price for that.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Never ask if someone uses Mac computers. If they do, they will tell you!" ;)

KS4W likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess that makes Android sort of a smaller and more paranoid version?

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess so.

Wait, I have a pain in my androids...

Mac is friendlier...like mac & cheese. What kid doesn't like that?

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:D:D:D

6. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

MacOS is not based on Linux. It's based on BSD.

But, there has never been a better time to try Linux..

KF5RRF and KK5JY like this.
  7. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Im a Windows person because that’s what I have. Every version since 3.1. My son is a Mac man converting about 10 years ago. I like the Mac OS it’s different and I guess easier to use but I worked in the IT field after retiring from EMS in 2000. All of the places I worked were Microsoft so I have just kept using it with very little trouble.

A few years ago after hearing the Linux fanatics brag about that OS I took one of my old laptops and tried it out. While it worked I just didn’t understand why. Still don’t. Yes it works but there is a learning curve but I just don’t see the advantage.

As for the original post and as a few other have said if I could actually get a hold of the troublesome computer I could more than likely have it fixed fairly quickly.

ND6M likes this.
  8. KK5JY

I guess it's a good thing people don't take that same attitude towards new digital modes in AR. ;)

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

So, just what IS a "safe site?" Would you consider the L.A. Slimes, err, I mean Times "safe?" A few years ago a friend using IE got a virus, and sent it to me. Since I use Firefox, it didn't bother MY computer, but her computer was out of commission for a week...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  10. KK5JY

A safe site is a site that doesn't download malware to your machine, or is a site that only sends you malware targeting operating systems and/or browsers other than the ones you are using. :eek:

Liberal use of browser plug-ins like NoScript do a great job of narrowing down the potentially "unsafe sites" on which one might inadvertently click. :cool: