Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4KWH, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I always get the blue window that needs to be overridden every time I install a new version of JT-Alert and JTDX, but it has not deleted anything yet. Knock on wood.:)

I liked AVG a lot, used it for years, but then out of the blue, maybe after an ownership change, the frequency of the upgrade offers got out of hand. It was also slowing my computer down.

The only package I will never ever try again, and it was the paid version, is Norton, the everything package. Norton is 'malware', as far as I'm concerned.:confused:

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you need all of that for Win 10 ?

My main Win machine is 7 and I use nothing other than the firewall.

All of that garbage is not needed and just bloats a system. And you need 8 cores and 32 gig of ram for your computer to be as fast as 7 or XP.

What ever floats your boat is best. My boat floats fine without a bunch of extra weight.

Have Fun.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    G3ZPF and WU8Y like this.
  3. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, with a caveat.

Do not worry about antivirus, but also be your own antivirus.

Viruses and malware do not climb into your system on their own. Most are like vampires; you have to invite them in. If you do not download questionable freeware (supposed antivirus software included), download email attachments from people you do not know, or open your firewall to let any and all traffic through, you should not have any problem.

N1FMV, WU8Y and KA9JLM like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OLD GEEZER CPM OPERATING SYSTEM.jpg

KD4MOJ, KF5RRF and KA9JLM like this.
  5. KA9JLM

The C128 rocked in CPM mode.

Ram Memory was small but it worked well.

K1LKP likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people don't use condoms and think they won't get STD's. Good luck!

Norton and MB don't bog my systems. I also don't get viruses or malware. I know how these programs behave and trust them. I've been sysadmin for two companies, and been through virus infections. I know what works. Running old OS's is not a forward looking approach, and just increases aggravation when new drivers and softwares come into use.

7. KA9JLM

True.

Do not poke around in something that can give you a virus. Then protection is not needed.

Norton just phones home to every site you visit. Win 10 does that too. :eek:

You have double protection.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

C128.jpg

CW FOREVER

73 CARMEN.jpg

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Great analogy. :)

No condom + no coitus = no STD

No antivirus + being smart online = no virus

WU8Y and KA9JLM like this.
  10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ha! i got in trouble once for telling a user - with continual virus / malware problems - that you really only get virus and malware if you're doing something 'adult like' on the internet (i.e. p0rn, gambling, illegal downloading)