ad: Morse-1

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4KWH, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, but never lower your guard. It's always a 'brave new world' after a Win 10 update.;)

WF4W likes this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

PowerShell is the command-line “shell” that is intended to replace the old MS-DOS Command Prompt (DOS Shell).

When properly run in Administrative Mode, you can use a series of one line PowerShell scripts to permanently remove various M$ “features” that most users don’t want, or don’t need, or wanted to install at their option, not by default. Like XBox. Who wants XBox on their work computer? (OK, let me rephrase that... who is ALLOWED to play games on their work computer during working hours?).

This is unfortunately neccesary because Micro$oft, in their infinite (lack of) wisdom, removed the ability of Joe Bag O’Donuts from simply uninstalling the unwanted Windows “Features” through Control Panel, like you did in the Old (Pre Win X) daze of yore.

Why use Win X? Because it’s basically a good OS, once you strip away all the marketing crap and turn off all the spyware.

NL7W likes this.
  3. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer my Etch A Sketch....

4. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure how many may relate to your "honeymooners" line, but I do. Great show, 73 Rich

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't mean this insultingly, Bill, but maybe...juuuuuust maybe...you don't know what you're doing? Maybe you should enlist the help of a 13-year-old (or equally knolwedgeable and tech-wise person) to help you?

W9AFB, WU8Y, N5PAR and 5 others like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL. You made my day. TGIF.

Thanks for the good laugh. When have you seen anything serious on QRZ ?

This has to be a operator error problem, Sad to say.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    WA7PRC and KJ3N like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Win10 here with Norton AV, Malware Bytes, MS Office (for maximum customer compatibility) and Chrome browser. Minimal problems, other than the usual Microsoft shuffling of control menu locations (sigh).

My sole heartache has been with my shack Win10 machine which lost Audio USB Codec connection after the June 2018 update. This machine normally is only on when I'm in the shack.

The problem was solved last month when I installed Norton and Malware Bytes on it (with nothing bad found) and then left the machine running for 5 days continuously. Whenever I passed the shack I manually forced reboots and update sequences. I was astounded at the number of updates that kept appearing, despite the status display saying 'System up to date". shrug.

-I am a firm believer that when you have troubles with a Windows machine, that multiple forced reboots are the solution. I have repeatedly seen this over years. Oh, and an occasional Quick Defrag followed by a reboot, too! For complex software installation, Pause the antivirus and malware programs, and do a reboot before running it!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Running Win 10 here with an O365 subscription....it's been pretty dang solid. I do remember banging my head on the desk and having to turn off a bunch of stuff in Windows 10 when I first installed it a couple years ago. I have no clear recollection as to what that was specifically.

9. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

It's WAY too aggressive for my tastes. It arbitrarily removes programs from your system without so much as a "by your leave". I've seen it delete a few ham radio programs for no apparent reason. It especially hated JT-Alert and on at least 1 ocassion, WSJT-X.

At least with AVG (which I've used for over a decade and a half), it will at least tell what it found and ask to remove things. Defender's default action seems to be to delete immediately, often with little or no warning.

10. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Windows 10 is the best Microsoft OS since XP.

I've been using Debian since college. I put my home computers--the ones my wife uses--on Ubuntu (an arguably more polished Debian derivative) about 7 years ago. Now, my wife would never go back to Windows; and while she is capable, she is not a software engineer or a computer nerd.

When my mother who lives in a different city (far enough away for me to regularly be helpful) need a new computer about a year ago, I recommended a Macbook. She could not be happier.

If you want to run Linux, you might need to learn a little, but it is the most flexible and by far the cheapest platform.

If you do not want to fool with the knowledge, Apple will sell you a product that works; but it is not cheap. Computers are not magic, but if you want it to seem that way you must pay.

Windows is not cheap, AND you need a lot of knowledge to run it successfully.

If you insist on Windows, I would recommend a gateway antivirus as opposed to something that hogs resources and co-opts your PC.