Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4KWH, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the problem that I have with it. :mad:

My 4G is way slower than DSL.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you can expect it to work, if not forever, for a very long time, as long as the hardware does not change, and that you do not update existing applications or install new ones.

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I put one of my Windows 10 laptops on the shelf for about 6 months. When I started it up again, it worked just fine. However, once you connect to the internet, you will start getting all the updates. And, installing the updates will take multiple reboots and a few hours.

I have a DSL connection and have also turned off most of the phone home stuff. But I have no problem with downloading updates. It all happens slowly in the background and doesn't interfere with working. I have been using Windows 10 for almost 3 years without any real update issues. A few months ago I got a update that would not let me get to my desktop. But my other Windows 10 systems didn't have any problems. So I backed it out, downloaded/installed it again, and it worked just fine. Just a bad download.

When MS first started pushing out the updates, they were pretty aggressive. I put my computer to sleep every night. MS use to wake it up and install the updates. But they have softened things up. Now, if a update has been downloaded, I get a notice. But if I'm busy, I can put it off. I have been able to put off an update for almost 2 weeks.

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

My lone XP machine is working "forever", but I don't connect it to the internet. I need the parallel port for a spectrum analyzer, and Excel for graphs from my Poor Ham's Scalar Network Analyzer. Libreoffice Calc won't do it, as the excellent Windows software application was written by Nick, WA5BDU for Excel.

Ted, KX4OM

5. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not too hard with programs like GWX control panel and another one I can't think of at the moment. I mainly use this Linux Mint laptop. The Win machine I use for ham stuff and Turbo tax.

6. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

Rule #1 with any OS is never download any free software unless you know for sure what it is and know others who are using it successfully. Free stuff often costs you in one way or another. Popup blockers, screen savers, etc. often contain malware or viruses - the hidden cost. Very few things in life are free. Any Microsoft OS is a big target for these things because there are so many users out there. If you have the original W10 DVD then the easiest fix is often to do a fresh Windows install and start over rather than attempting to find and disable the malware. Of course then you have to do all the upgrades and reinstall all your programs - not fun.

7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

You know.... we here at the QRZ Computer Forum owe Microsoft a debt of gratitude. Windows 10, with all of it's wonders and flaws; and the botched forced "upgrade" from WIN7 have given all of us here a LOT of good material to discuss and argue about for several years now! ;)

Heck... if it weren't for WIN10, this part of QRZ would be as boring as all get-out.

KA9JLM likes this.
  8. HB9CSM

HB9CSM Ham Member QRZ Page

9. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

K8NCR Said;
    "Unfortunately, Gnome and the freedesktop.org people are rapidly closing that gap."
    Exactly, they want to make it more like Windows. I don't know why that bunch doesn't just change back to Windows, but noooo they want to ruin it for everybody.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mac and MS started the contest.

upload_2019-3-31_14-17-11.png