Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4KWH, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I can safely say I HATE Win 10. I loathe it! I downloaded a pop up stopper. I get all sorts of ads for recipes and other pop up ads I never got on my other computer! I get some sort of "email program" that pops up every time I sign on. DAD DURN-BLAME IT, I don't WANT their ****!!:mad: I tried to download Chirp (see other thread). It disappeared! I tried to write an email message to a politician; it ERASED it:mad:. I wrote another message, and it was BLOCKED as a "security risk". (Is it that Microsoft Edge mess?) I would like to tell these &^%$#
    (unmentionable) that IF I WANTED THEIR RUNNY, UPSET STOMACH DISCHARGE, I WOULD ASK FOR IT!:mad: POWWWWWW! TO THE *MOON*, ALICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D HA!

KK4NSF likes this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to configure Windows to stop trying to 'help' you. That usually means disabling almost everything that is enabled by default.

As for Edge, dump it as fast as you can. There are better alternatives out there, the one I use is Firefox.

Once Firefox is installed add the following add-ons to it: uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, and Disconnect.

W5BIB, KF5RRF, W1TRY and 3 others like this.
  3. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this a company computer or your personal one? Your problems make it sound like you are using a an extremely locked down company machine. I mean wow. I use 2 different win 10 laptops one a few years old and another new one. I have no problems like to ones you are describing.

If it’s your personal computer all I can suggest is that Win 10 does have a lot of settings that you need to go through and check.

WD4IGX, KD4IEM and KJ4VTH like this.
  4. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Google Chrome for serious stuff like QRZ and Edge for casual browsing, though that can be frustrating too, at times. After years of fighting the trend, I broke down and bought an Office subscription.

5. VA3VF

I did pay for MS Office once. My son still uses MS Office, but he gets it free from the University.

Unless there is an insurmountable reason to stay with MS Office, or for business reasons, my current favorite is FreeOffice:

https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

After leaving MS Office behind, I spent some time using LibreOffice as well.

Sorry for the detour.

6. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Firefox for web stuff, and Thunderbird for email. I wouldn't use Edge if you put a gun to my head.

Turn off as much of Cortana as possible.

Use something other than Defender for anti-virus.

JMO

KF5RRF, KB2SMS, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  7. VA3VF

Yes!

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!:D

Tried all the free anti-virus packages out there. Used AVG for years, until it started inundating me with pop-ups. Been using Defender for some time. Nothing bad yet. Would you mind commenting on why it should be avoided?

NK2U likes this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to see an IT professional. All of these issues can be corrrected, but ask someone who knows what they’re doing to look at it.

( Do NOT go to Geek Squad or some other rip-off like them. Talk with someone who does this for a living, a real IT professional, and ask them. They may be open to a bribe, like a nice steak dinner )

I’ve been using Win X for quite some time now (it’s on all of the main home and shack computers) and never run into any of these issues. So something doesn’t sound right.

I have suspicions about your “ad blocker”. If installing it increased ads, something is wrong there.

The many Win X unneeded “features” can be easily removed with PowerShell scripts, but you have to know what you’re doing.

Don’t use Micro$oft Edge. Stick with IE (yes, it is installed, do a search from your app list) or install Chrome or Firefox.

Don’t use Micro$of Mail.

Turn on all of the security features — in other words, turn off all of the Micro$oft intrusion. Again, a real IT pro can help you with that.

No, sorry, while I do make house calls, you’re a little out of my travel range.

9. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Why does me, Joe Bag O'Donuts, need to use power shell to "modify" software? All of the don't use this or that with MS?

Then why use Microsoft?

10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

windows 10 is the best OS since XP.

KR2C, NL7W, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.