Windows 10 Professional for $39.99

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, May 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to be legit, but some people have downloaded a Windows 10 Pro license key for $3 from sites with less credibility, and they say those activate. Anyway, Windows 10 Pro is needed for Windows Hyper-V, and I found the article on BetaNews, which I follow.

https://betanews.com/2020/05/22/windows-10-professional-hyper-v-virtualization/

Click on the link in this paragraph in the article for the details on getting Windows 10 Pro. Offer ends in 6 days and some hours on a ticking clock on the download site.

"First and foremost you need Windows 10 Professional Edition -- available now for just $39.99 (or 39.99 pounds) -- as Hyper-V isn't present in Windows 10 Home Edition."

I chose not to put he actual link in this post. It is to Downloadcrew Software Store. The license is for "a one-PC, limited lifetime license". Google (or DuckDuckGo, which I use) is your friend. According to the Microsoft links, one can upgrade Windows 10 Home, Windows 8, Windows 7 or install Windows 10 Pro from scratch and activate it with the provided key. Get the ISO from Microsoft by downlad (which I recently did to to repair one of my old laptop installations) or DownloadCrew will sell you a DVD for a small price.

I have not actually bought this deal, as all of my Windows 10 machines are Professional. I am in no way affiliated with BetaNews, DownloadCrew, or Microsoft. Caveat emptor, yadda yadda. I am naturally suspicious by nature.

Ted, KX4OM

2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

They are legit, but the keys you get on the eBay for $3 are not. Those keys are generated using volume licensing management, and while they'll work, they risk being deactivated by Microsoft. They will not work for re-installs and likely will fail upon significant system upgrades or changes. Regardless of what some of the sellers may say about keys being transferable from broken or deprecated hardware, they're not selling you a dead motherboard located somewhere in the EU for $3.

If you're okay getting and using a license key for $3, you might as well run your own volume license manager software and activate your own Windows copies. At least your $3 stays out of the pocket of scammers, and the end result is very much the same.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

My question is "how is the #39.99 priced Win 10 Pro" legitimate, and just WHAT is meant be a "limited" lifetime license?

4. KX4OM

Good point about the hardware. When I rejuvenated my failed installation on the laptop, I used the original Win10 key from the laptop to activate it. The problem with the laptop was that the Windows software had failed, not the hardware. It would not boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint. No Grub, no nothing. The Macrium Reflect image I had would not work with the restore disc, either. I bought a 2 year-old refurb laptop with 16GB RAM and an SSD from MicroCenter, and I then worked on the new install for the old one.

Ted, KX4OM

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is that it is a update for a Home version, For a computer that has a valid KEY.

And Limited is that you can use it, You do not own it. Lifetime is that it will work until MS kills it. o_O

That is just my best guess. :rolleyes:

6. KX4OM

Some more info on "Discount key" from Tom's Hardware (and Microsoft):

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html

"“If the user [installs Windows 10] before activating Windows, they will see an ‘Activate Windows’ watermark on their desktop, as well an experience a limit on Windows 10 personalization options,” Microsoft told Tom’s Hardware in a statement."

Scroll down to this section, "Buy a Cheap Windows Key from a Third-Party Seller: Around $30"
    They go into a lot more detail on the subject, with several vendors listed.

Ted, KX4OM

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I read the Tom's article. Is the Windows "KEY" only the product key, and does it allow activation? :confused: (I believe you get to use the software for 30 days before activation is absolutely required... once activated, do the "watermark" and program limitations go away?)

8. AB3RI

AB3RI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just found this article last week when I wanted to install Windows 10 on a desktop that I wasn't using and previously had linux on it. Over the years, I've been paying $130 for Win10 Pro from Amazon, but wanted to find a cheaper alternative so I took a chance on https://www.kinguin.net/. Paid $35 total for Win10 Pro product key. Activated without any issue.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not think Microsoft really cares if they can track your every move for free. :rolleyes:

10. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I understand (limited)... is that a valid Win7 key will work for a windows 10 ISO...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ