Windows 10 problem

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AE1CT, May 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

First things first, however. The OP HAS to get a keyboard (at least) working. If not, even an original MS issued "Win (7, 8.1x, 10") OS disk is nothing more than a glorified coaster. The KB needs to be usable before anything else.
    Hmmm. "F2" works on my D*ll; boot device selection (only) is "F12.".
    My D*ll i7-7700 is 2 y/o; it has 4 front USB3.0; 2 rear USB3.0, 1 rear USB(A)3.1, and a rear Type "C" USB3.1 The two rear USB2.0 "A" ports are for the supplied keybored and moose.[sic] Since I normally use a wireless combo mouse/keyboard, (both on a single USB port) I have one USB 2.0 Port left empty, or used for a USB printer. But the machine t has no external PS/2 port, and the MoBo (used in the computer) doesn't seem to even have an internal header for one.

One suggestion (from above) worth trying IS to reset the CMOS (and/or replace the battery) and see if the keyboard (at least) initially responds for the BiOS or UEFI. If the KB initially works, then it would most likely somehow be a software problem, not the hardware.

P.S. Not to change the subject (too much) but I have a converter "cable" that let me use an HP-4P Parallel Port printer (old, from DOS/Win 3.1 days) with a USB computer port but I haven't tried it on other Parallel port devices. It wasn't too expensive (less than $10.00)

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

True and fair enough. Booting a Linux Live CD would at least determine whether the OP's problem is either hardware or software/configuration based. I have several such Live CDs that have saved my bacon on numerous occasions.

3. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can't boot into the Bios with a keyboard it doesn't matter what OS you use.

WA9SVD likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

MAYBE. But if his computer isn't already set to boot from a CD, even LINUX (of any flavor) won't be of any help. At least in my experiences, unless the computer is already set to boot from CD, a keyboard is needed to change the boot sequence.

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes you have to physically pull the power cord or use the switch on the back of the power supply to completely kill the power. Have you tried the front USB ports?

KB0MNM and WA9SVD like this.
  6. WA9SVD

Might work (i.e., actually "pulling the plug.") But it sounds suspiciously like a software problem, if it was working properly (i.e. with KB and mouse) just before new software was installed. Some computers only initialize the front USB ports AFTER Windoze is loaded, but it IS worth a try.

7. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Other thing is if you have a bunch of usb ports in use, unplug all you can. Only leave the KB and mouse. And yes after a 'hard restart' it's good to unplug the AC line for a while, maybe even 15 minutes, or unplug the AC and hold down the start button for a while. All the simple things are worth a try.

8. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Only one other test comes to mind. If you are thinking the USB ports used for your keyboard and mouse on the back of the computer are 'dead', there is a device called a USB to RS-232 ( serial adapter ). Anyone with an old RS-232 breakout box , de-9/db-25 adapter if needed, and this serial adapter should be able to check a USB port for lack of or actual activity. The USB adapter in question was sold in the 'Geek Squad' store and was under $30.00. The break-out box would be available at most computer-only repair stores that have been in business for more than 15 years- same with the de-9/db-25 wiring adapter. The de/db adapter can be wiring blocks or cables.

9. WA9SVD

And all that co$ts 2-3 times as much as an "add-on" (add-in?) USB card, and probably isn't needed, especially if it is merely a software problem. Unplugging the computer and clearing the CMOS (and possibly removing or replacing the battery) seems to be the first thing(s) to try. But USB 2.0 ports SHOULD be the first choice for a KB , and with CMOS cleared, should allow a KB to function, unless the USB ports are actually damaged.

10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it costs around $50 to $120 to become a new owner of that hardware, yet most computer techs who have worked on older machines would have some of it. The benefit is that the LEDs on the breakout box or second connected machine would tell the tale. No doubt about diagnosing a bad USB port if the hardware works on a different one. A known good USB keyboard would confirm a problem, but would also leave a question about software or hardware. Since the author of the thread gets as far as the 'opening screen' and 'icons', the PC must see a keyboard report. This is not a problem for beginners. The CMOS battery may not be of the 'plug in' variety- many are now soldered in.

Last edited: May 15, 2021