Windows 10 problem

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AE1CT, May 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AE1CT

AE1CT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have several ham radio programs and downloads on my win 10 desk top but my key board and mouse doesnt work, I've tried differant key boards and mice but no luck. It seems that the USB ports are turned off,
    Anyone know how to turn the USB ports on? I don't have the win 10 OS disk.

N4FZ likes this.
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the mouse and keyboard connected directly to the computer or through a hub?

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did they work before you had the ham radio programs loaded on your system?

What ham radio programs were loaded on your system?

How are the mouse and keyboard connected to your PC?

What do you see with the Device Manager? With the DM you should be able to see all your devices. If there is an issue with one, it should provide a warning.

On one of my laptops, the keyboard went bad. So I replaced it with at USB connected keyboard. But it always ran with a wireless mouse. That laptop still works great.

I have a old system with a old OS (XP) that I use for my ham stuff. It uses both a wireless mouse and keyboard. I seems to work just fine.

4. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

First things first, you need the keyboard to access the Bios so I hope it works at the initial boot up stage.

Assuming that things worked before it may be that a BIOS setting has been changed and disabled the USB ports in windows I'd look there first. Either that or some device software/drivers have been compromised either by addons that have been used (extended mouse drivers etc.) or something malicious.

KB0MNM likes this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Without the Win 10 OS disk and functional keyboard and mouse, you're pretty much dead in the water. Beg, borrow, or buy a Win OS disk - or - consider getting a Linux Live CD to help diagnose your problem.

6. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Win10 OS is a download as long as you have an install key. If the device is a commercial OEM install OS then you have to hope that the OS will know its a licenced OEM Motherboard bios and that the key is stored in there (I was told it is by HP when I asked for the install key that they never gave me)

If you have a keyboard that works (so not a lot of help to the original op) you can go to the Windows OS command line prompt and issue the following command (it's 'case sensitive');

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Followed by Return keypress and you will get the Install Code Key. This should work for most windows versions.

7. AE1CT

The key board and mouse are connected to the USB ports on the back of the comp

8. AE1CT

They both worked just fine now the USB ports are dead can't do anything with either one

9. AE1CT

Key board doesn't work at all I've tried a new key board and nothing

10. AE1CT

I can't get into the bios or DM nothing on the key board works not even the mouse all I have when turned on is the main page comes up with all the icons