ad: SDRKits-1

Windows 10 New Version (Update) Hassles

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N0TZU, Apr 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

On a fast machine, the downloads are not so bad, but the installation of the updates in what takes forever, even on an i7-7700 machine!

2. N4AAB

N4AAB Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have any computer that spify. My connection is good, but my CPU is slow.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't keep up with the changes. It used to be really simple to connect a projector to the second video port on my desktop computer. But since some update in the recent past, I no longer can, at least using the original setup. Apparently, if your computer isn't a laptop, you are ASOL. I keep finding other little nasties all the time, mostly involving the displays. I have some strange hardware involved, but I am seriously considering migrating that one machine over to Linux. Linux would do most of what I care about, and I suspect maybe a high percentage of it.

4. N2NJO

N2NJO Ham Member QRZ Page

Win 10 more bloated than Win7 if that is possible.
    All it does is add more unwanted crap designed for and by "post teenagers" with toy idiot phones and their narrow mentality.
    A 'upgrade' is what appears to be complete O/S download, not individual files as it has been in the past. (reinventing the wheel and clogging the Internet even more).

Updates can be turn off completely, but the process is involved and M$ has made changes to the recent "builds" making it even harder. From what I have read, the 1st 'build' update was the last that can be tamed especially id using "Classic Shell" and similar as I would/could never tolerate M$'s abortions even since FP, er XP and far worse with Vista, then W7.

Yes Win 7 is fine, there is no real need to upgrade in spite of all the so called 'security' paranoia which is blown out of proportion.

VE3WI likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly dead on. :)

6. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

The reason you had two updates is the dates you were working. First, if you started the last week of May, you got one update. Second, Microsoft issued another update on April 1st, the day you made your post. Never update on the last or first day of the month.

Also running Windows 10 (or any Win version) in VM mode on a Mac can be problematic, especially if you do not turn off all the MS telemetry. It depends on how well the VM software is installed, what it is and whether it is updated to the latest version of Win 10; many take months to update and often are way behind the curve. You should always update the VM and do a clean install before installing a Windows Update. Otherwise you may not have the latest drivers and emulators to have the Mac communicate with the newest Windows version.

Umm ... one other thought ... Buy a 64bit PC. They're cheap enough so as to buy one just for your radio needs. For most Ham software you don't need anything but a very modest PC, with a few exceptions.

Most of the whining and complaints about Win10 (just like what happened with XP, 7, 8, 8.1) is from people not reading or understanding the new OS and how it differs from the previous one. I have used Win 10 for some time and once I understood what it was and wasn't doing I have had few problems. Running the latest software helps as well. Also it is unreasonable to expect new OS'es to be able to run archaic software. So always get the latest software. If your favorite Ham software won't run on the latest OS, complain to the developer of the software and ask for a modern version to be developed ... don't blame the OS. If they won't or can't ... move on. Find something new.

And as far the so-called "security paranoia" ... spoken like a true skeptical consumer level computer user. The concerns are real. This is why you may find it difficult to use PayPal (and many other sites like online banking) over the next few months, if you're still on XP or 7 or on any 32 or older 64 bit system. All the sites are upgrading to higher level encryption, requiring newer computers and OS's. Microsoft had to comply with the internet commerce associations; not the other way around. Hackers are driving the changes, not Microsoft.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    K4AGO likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

I say if you like Win 10 use it.

I like Win 7 and use it, Without needing to buy a new computer.

My computers with XP work just fine also.

At least someone keeps Microsoft on their toes.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  8. N4AAB

From a Win 10 support forum, I have read that MS started doing huge updates for Win 10. I know of several people who have to pick a date for these updates as they are on a metered Internet connection.

Last falls, 2017, Win 10 update, crashed my computer. I have 33 years tech support on Computers, not just MS products. MS needs to do a better job.

9. KA9JLM

Microsoft keeps people like you in a good paying job. :cool:

I made a lot of money debugging office 2000, When I was part of the Microsoft team.

Y2K was a good year for me. :)

Looking at Win 10 makes my eyes roll. :rolleyes:

Have Fun Everyone.

10. N4AAB

I'm retired. I fix my computers and the relatives who live closest to me computers.