Windows 10 New Version (Update) Hassles

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N0TZU, Apr 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Notice: this is a bit of a rant -

My Win10 Home (running in VM on a Mac) said I need to "update" to the newer version of Windows. So I dutifully let it download the 6 GB or so this morning and then tried to update.

It didn't work and threw an 8 digit error code. After fiddling around reading about the error code on their less than helpful site, I finally ran their Service Advisor on the web and was directed to run the Update Troubleshooter. Of course that failed until I clicked run as administrator. (Why it didn't notice that I needed to do that in the first place is a mystery, but I digress.)

Then it ran and found some things wrong and fixed them (no, I didn't bother to note what, as updating is all under automatic Windows control so it's not my problem). Finally it said everything was fixed and to run update again.

Which I did, and now update seems to be downloading the entire 6 GB again or some other very large update, it's not clear which - AARRGGHH - and what should be a very simple transparent process still isn't over!

And people wonder why I couldn't wait to ditch Windows and go to Mac.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  2. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

G0GSR and W9FTV like this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I run Win 10 on multiple machines at home and at work and don't have any of the problems folks seem to report on QRZ.

Also have a MacBook laptop, and multiple Ubuntu servers that I manage. Actually, I deal with more "mysterious" Ubuntu issues than the other OS's - both Apache's reverse Proxy and NGINX's both cause 100% CPU system lockups on Ubuntu with very little to help troubleshoot...

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 7 still works fine.

A 6 GB update is unacceptable. Win 10 sucks, And also sucks your data stash.

N3AB likes this.
  5. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious, have you sent bug reports to Apache and Nginx?

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you need to send reports to tell you what is wrong, It is normally Operator Error.:oops:

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Using ANY Windoze flavor in VM mode on a Mac is fraught with danger, and Win 10 is no slaut. I doubt, however, that those using only Windoze 10 on a true x64 machine have the (6 GB) download problem.
    Remember, there is a VAST difference between a 6 GB download, and the time required to actually install those "upgrades."

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't yet, trying to figure out if there is something in common with what I am doing. I have other Ubuntu servers that run with zero issues, it's just my reverse proxies that have the problem. All are hosted on VMware 6.5...

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well the OS is finally upgraded.

As far as I can tell, the OS upgrade needed to have an update to the previous OS level before it would work. Unfortunately, Windows couldn't figure this out initially, and recognized that only after the upgrade failed. It still took two attempts and two downloads to get that update to take.

Then, the OS upgrade was downloaded again, and still didn't work, so I restarted the upgrade again and finally it worked.

Total damage: 2x update, 3x upgrade. A couple of hours of my life wasted.

I've seen this behavior before on 95, 98, and 7, where the update engine cannot determine all the updates required so one must iterate until all updates are properly applied.
    This Mac is a true 64 bit Intel machine. The VM is a current version of VMware Fusion, certainly a good product.

I really don't think the VM has anything to do with it, since I've seen this sort of thing before on computers running nothing but native Windows. But, I'm no expert, and would like to learn about any VM weaknesses in this regard.

10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree about Fusion, but just just a heads up about the Intel part: Apple is planning to start using its own microprocessor starting in 2020.