WINDOWS 10 biting the dust in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W4CBJ, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, yeah. Their data is based on machines connected to the internet.

The Net Applications website is behind a registration wall. The pie chart also shows the percentage for Windows XP, so that would mean they scanned and found XP machines connected to the internet. My old Dell workstation down in the shack/lab running XP certainly is not!

I'm posting this from my laptop that has ReactOS-0.4.6 that I just installed in Linux Mint 18.2/VirtualBox few minutes ago. Mint and Win10 [rarely] dual boot. I loaded Firefox 28 from the ReactOS applications menu list, and that is what I'm using. The network configured automatically on ReactOS installation.

Ted, KX4OM

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it's not fake news.

3. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  4. W1XWX

Assuming that the entire 4% Other in the above chart is all Mac OS---it is not--- Windows 10 by itself is 4 times larger than Mac OS probably 6 times larger. Linux, XP are not in the game at all. Windows 7 still hanging on.

And look at Windows 8.1 very similar in many ways to Windows 10-- if we add those numbers "modern" Windows is at about 37%.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    KB4QAA likes this.
  5. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting as my Win 10 desktop just stopped working this evening. I can login, but it refuses to all of a sudden connect to the Internet or find the home network.

I'm posting via my linux laptop.

6. W1XWX

Well you are still in the 3% group with XP users being double the Linux users! :)

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Cootie links above moved Linux up a few notches.

8. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I finally got my win 10 desktop to attempt repairs. I guess in a few hours it will let me know if that is going to work or not.

9. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

When you consider all devices using the Linux kernel and Windows kernel the picture is different. The "Usage share of operating systems" Wiki has the data for comparisons of computing platforms: mobile devices, servers, mainframes, supercomputers and other categories. Android (Linux kernel) leads in devices shipped (year 2015 data) and web clients. Is Android a real computing platform? My Samsung Android tablet operates my SDRPlay RSP1 with the SDR Touch app.

Ted, KX4OM

10. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

As has been said, they have no idea how many Windows XP machines are really still in use, that are NOT connected to the Internet . . .

I have FOUR in daily use here !

Roger G3YRO