Windows 10 and JTAlert

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K8WDX, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8WDX

K8WDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone having problems with Windows 10 removing JT alert? Was running fine, then all of a sudden, it removes it and says because of a virus. No reason, did not install anything else, this is a ham radio only machine, nothing else is on it, not sure if there was an update or not, tried to remove and reinstall, scan folder with windows defender, no issue found, same issue. Windows 10 is really starting to annoy me. Tom K8WDX

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  2. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't speak to your problem, but I too notice that MS wants to think they know more what you want than you do. I recently went to w10 and it's been 2 weeks of fights. One wonders why they take something that works fine and makes it difficult and less acceptable.

3. KB3MOW

KB3MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lot of folks have had this problem. Are you using MS Windows Defender as your antivirus? Even other AV suites have flagged JTAlert in error. As long as you downloaded it from Hamapps.com there is no virus. You simply need to create an "exception" (often called whitelist) in your AV. You can also submit the file to "Virus Total" (https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload) and verify its' safety to ease your worry.

GL es 73
    Dave - KB3MOW

WF7A likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you need any antivirus software when Windows 10 protects you so well ??? :rolleyes:o_O

I never needed any for Win 7.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  5. K8WDX

K8WDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yea, I figured this out shortly after the post. Thanks!

6. N2IPH

N2IPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Had the same problem here. Been running Win10Pro for a couple weeks with no issues. This is a PC dedicated to the shack and I've run Windows 7 Pro on for years. Never had a problem with JTAlert or WSJT-X as far as AV scans go until today.

Today Windows D/L'd the latest virus signature file (Windows Defender Definition version 1.307.2526.0) and now JTAlert is a bad guy all of a sudden.

Windows Defender sees it as a Trojan: Trojan:Win32/Azden.A!cl

Excluding the HamApps folder and grabbing a fresh copy of JTAlert version 2.15.17 has not helped, still getting flagged and blocked by Windows Defender. Tried installing previous versions but no go.

Submitted to MS for analysis, I suggest others do the same maybe they'll get the message.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  7. KB3MOW

KB3MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

With Defender, excluding a folder does not seem to work as it is supposed to. Exclude the file itself, along WITH the folder. Be sure to exclude the right app! If you exclude "JTAlert.exe" and you are actually using "JTAlert_AL.exe", the exclusion will not work.

I also needed to (at one point) exclude WSJT-X.exe and JT9.exe, as they were shown as viruses by Defender.

I'm NOT a big fan of MS Defender. However, I've tried all the "big guys" and Defender, while a bit quirky, uses FAR less resources on my PC than any other commercial app. That's important to me, with only 4G of RAM!

Dave - KB3MOW

8. N2IPH

N2IPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had the same complaints about other AV software over the years. I've tried them all and they are resource hogs. MS Windows Defender traces it's roots to GIANT AntiSpyware which MS gobbled up many years ago (WinXP) and rolled the GIANT software into Windows. It's had a couple different names over the years but that's where it started.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like Win 10 does not like unsigned .EXE files.

No big surprise.

10. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember, folks, it's all artificial intelligence.

With strong emphasis on "ARTIFICIAL".