Windows 10 1903 is officially ready for broad deployment

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Sep 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been holding off on moving the Windows 10 machines from 1809 to 1903, since 1903 has had several well-publicized issues, including failure to install, since it was released a month late in May due to quality issues discovered in user pre-release testing. Do a web search on "windows 10 1903 problems" or go to this URL for a complete list:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/resolved-issues-windows-10-1903.

From ZDnet.com:

"Microsoft's Windows 10 1903, a k a the May 2019 Update, is officially 'ready for broad deployment for all users via Windows Update.' That new status was achieved on September 26, as Microsoft noted on its Windows 10 Release Information status page."

"As Microsoft notes on its release information page, devices running Windows 10 1803 (the April 2018 Update) Home, Pro and Pro for Workstation editions will reach end of support on November 12, 2019."

I will continue with 1809 until it is closer to end-of-support of that release.

Ted, KX4OM

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems that as soon as 10 is working properly, It gets screwed up on the next update. o_O

KU3X likes this.
  3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I updated to 1903 in the middle of June. I also updated the XYL's machine to 1903. I have not had a single issue with that major update or the other dozen updates that have been installed since.

K4RKY likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How do you tell which update you have on a given computer?

Dave
    W7UUU

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to: Settings>Update and Security>View Update History

Mine is at 1809 so now I get to enjoy seemingly endless downloading for 1903 + related.

Oops, now Win Update is unhelpfully telling me that it can't install a security update because other updates are in progress, but perhaps I should restart my computer (NO!). Now it's downloading other updates.

Good heavens, doesn't anybody in one part of MS work with anyone else? Their update process is so disjointed and unreliable, what a mess.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    KY1K and KJ4VTH like this.
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy: If it works well it is probably not from MS.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here.

"For it to install and behave correctly, Rich, you must be doing something wrong."

...and 1909 is just around the corner: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...0-1909-coming-soon-here-are-the-new-features/

8. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Do any of these updates make the operating system take less space on the hard drive, seems to me the space taken by the operating system grows and grows.... soon everybody with Win 10 will be wanting Alligator drives.... just like XP wanting patches to mend patches.

Dave

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you need to install the Weight Watcher's version of Windows.;)

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I just checked, and I'm being offered the 'upgrade'. Anybody has the link to see what is being broken in this release?