WIN7 & what are you doing

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by VK4GAP, Jan 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi , yes that's the type of stuff , i found the name of one that is on the local library computers as i had to reboot it (i asked if i could as it copped a browser high-jacker and would not get off it and froze) , then watching the re-boot i noticed what was going on on the boot screen , it had a count-down so as one could alter things using a password .

I don't recall the name of it now , but did back then and checked it out , surprising of all was that it was a "free one" too . 73

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I did that for Win XP. Never even got a hit.

Hackers seem to Bogart.

And yes, MS is killing 7 with un-needed updates. MS recommends that you buy a new computer with 10 Pre-Installed, One that is BIOS and CPU locked so that Linux can not be installed. :eek:

KK4NSF likes this.
  3. VK4GAP

Same here , nothing special on the computers , later on if a last all in one roll-up comes out i'll use the QEM dvd and integrate the roll-up and burn another disk .

Added- https://pureinfotech.com/convenience-rollup-windows-7-iso-slipstream/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 4:04 PM
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yep. that's why I dislike Microsoft.... and companies like Dell and Best Buy who push that sort of product.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Every time I change the OS I run into driver problems, so I don't like to change.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. VE3CLG

VE3CLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha ha ha
    I have both win 3.1 98se 7 32 and 64 bit ULTIMATE and Pro 10 on dvd and all what after that i need.
    The thing is with 10 there are so many things APP's it looks like a apple phone .
    That is not a windows OS to me.
    Linux at list is free.Good for my paket station gateway .
    Hard to say what to use. Any OS is good as long as you happy with it.
    IF we all had xtra $$ yes we will get more toys ..
    Stay with the OS and pc you are comfortable

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I switched to using Linux as the primary desktop OS, and then I run Windows in a VM, for those rare applications where the authors can't figure out how to do cross-platform development.

8. VK4GAP

Just booted the RapTop and it came up with a new screen (blue) saying it (win7) had run it's life , at least there was a "do not remind) thing to click .

Did a update check and currently downloading a total of 380Mb , 1 rollup , 1 .net thing and 1 malicious thing , i gather that's going to be the last!

9. VK4GAP

After rebooting from above , winupdate is still there and enabled , but i could not see it in the task scheduler (i think i can remember it being there?) , there also is a end of support in task scheduler now , or has been there for a short time , it looks ok to delete it as it is just the reminder i gather , i'll try it in a week or 2 . 73

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope - I have updates turned off on my Win 10.

You can disable the vast majority of the other stuff too, but it takes a bit of doing.