WIN7 & what are you doing

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by VK4GAP, Jan 12, 2020 at 6:24 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Updates for win7 are ceasing in 2 days so what are you doing ?

There is a 2 year extension for automatic updates which can be paid for , i think i saw $25 per year or so , i'm thinking along the lines that i'll just save a few images of the last fully updated system and go from there and see what happens , MS Edge (the browser for 7) is self up-dating and i do not mind it at all imo .

Any other ideas? , does one think there will be a whole update only disk or file to be released , an all in one type of thing .

No need for any posters for suggestions of linux , win10 or anything else as i hope this post will stay on the topic of win7 and the users of a fine operating system it has been over the years .

73 Paul

2. DL3LK

DL3LK Ham Member QRZ Page

I will stay on win7

3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have ditched it in favor of WIN10. I only have WIN7 on 1 laptop that is for multiboot & experimenting. It never sees any network.
    I honestly thought I would be using WIN7 till the horses came home, but personally find WIN10 to be superior.
    Even the cheap Chinese counterfeit programming cables that you had to use a special driver just plug in & plain work.
    Everything just plugs in & works.
    I even found an old webcam from the XP days while moving & it just worked.
    I have not searched for a driver for anything, including my LimeSDR-USB, since getting WIN10.

Just can't see a reason to use WIN7 any more.

Ed

K2CQW likes this.
  4. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

People can be very frightened of change.

5. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there will probably be something available. I have a old Compaq Presario that runs XP. The unit is too old to work with Windows 10, but that's fine. I have the original install disk and all the service packs, so I can keep it running for a long time. But, I have to run an old version of Firefox because the new versions won't install. So you may someday be stuck with some old software and not be able to use newer features.

I also have a old SubNote laptop that runs Windows 3.1. It's falling apart mechanically, but still works fine with that 40MB disk drive. It has MS Office from when there was MS Draw. It also has a C compiler and a CW RX/TX program that works great (written in C). It's fun to use but will never run anything else.

You must be new here. My sentiments are with AA7QQ on Windows 10. It does everything and it does it well.

Years ago I managed an Unix installation of high end software for schematics, simulation, and PCB layout. It included a lot of software from a variety of vendors. Because of the expense, we paid a maintenance fee. But there was a catch. Even though you paid the maintenance fee, if you were not running the latest OS, with all of the latest patches, they could refuse to help you. The would tell you, update your system and then get back to us if the problem isn't fixed.

6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I did not read the part of no suggestions of other OSs.
    But, my post still is my opinion.
    Do not use a WIN7 on the internet without security updates. You will be in for a world of trouble.
    Now, if you just want to use existing WIN7 software that you already have for rig control, etc, go for it.

Ed

7. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I moved to Win 10 a long time ago and it's working fine. The updates are not a problem either. I use it for rig control, digital modes etc and all works fine. Staying with an OS that no longer gets updates is asking for trouble. Good luck if you are staying on Win 7.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

No updates really means nothing. May even be better for many 7 user, Because MS will not screw up their computer.

I have not taken a MS 7 update for about 5 years, That is why my 7 system still works fine. :)

Linux is much better than Win 10, I would not mess up a Linux machine booting it to 10.

Life will not end, 7 will still be the best. o_O

WD4IGX and KK4NSF like this.
  9. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my original Win7 install disks, Service Pack 1 ISO and updates from 2011-2016 rolled up in another ISO (some people call it Service Pack 2 but shouldn't--it's a roll-up).

I'm hoping to see a final Service Pack called Service Pack 2 shortly that covers all updates from 2011 to the end in 2 days. I'll grab it and store it. If not, I'll just live with what I have.

I compute responsibly, so I'm not worried about malware. If I do catch any bugs, I'll just wipe it clean and re-load from scratch.

I'm using Win7 until it doesn't support any more hardware and all my hardware is used up.

It's the last windows OS I'll ever use.

(See, I didn't mention any other OS.)

WD4IGX and AF9US like this.
  10. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

so what can we do to be safe with w 7, i hate w xx