Win4Yaesu and FTdx3000, which Output?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by W4ATX, May 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4ATX

W4ATX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have just purchased an SDRPlay (RSP1) to use with my FTdx3000 and (potentially) Win4Yaesu (still evaluating...very nice package!)

I had seen previous instructions for use with the HDSDR package stating that I should use the RX out on my Yaesu. Win4Yaesu says just the opposite...use the IF out. I know just enough to be dangerous here...the HDSDR instructions gave a reason that "sounded" kosher; I just don't know. Win4Yaesu instructions gave no reason either way.

When I had the HDSDR up and running with RX out being used it seemed to work well. (I admit, I have *not* tried Win4Yaesu with RX yet.)

I just wanted to toss this question out there and see what kind of responses I get. Which should I use with Win4Yaesu? Why?

2. MI0NWA

MI0NWA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the HDSDR with the DX3000 and SDRPlay (RSP2) but could not get it to work on the IF out, probably just a setting but just left as is as it works as I need it to on RX out. Have not tried the Win4Yaesu yet though, let me know what you think and worth changing too if you get it working :)

3. KH6CT

KH6CT Ham Member QRZ Page

My station here uses a FTdx3000, Win4Yaesu, and and old RSP (original version). My RSP is connected to the 3000 via the RX Out port; tried the IF Out also, but couldn't make it work. So, without doing any other research, just left it on the port that worked.

Win4Yaesu controls the radio completely. The only time I touch the radio is to power it on and off. It's a beautiful piece of work, excellent support by the author, and frequent upgrades. It also has a 30 day, fully functional free trial.

The RSP is only used for it's panadapter feature. Gives me a crisp, clear, fully customizable display. Easy to setup and operate. Great support forum on groups.io.

To display the panadapter, I'm using SDRConsole V3. It's easy to setup and has an excellent support group also on groups.io. Free too.

And in all that mix above, using DXLab Suite for a logbook, and as a spot collector. This provides a nearly automatic system.

Ok, hope some of this helps. If you have any other question about the setup, give me a shout.

4. KI5X

KI5X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Either will work. RX Out will work "as is" - IF Out requires a different offset (9Mhz IIRC but I could be very, very wrong)

5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

My sincere Thank You for your Navy service. We have freedom in the US because of unselfish people like you.

John
    K4AGO

6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

My sincere Thank You for your Navy service. We have freedom in the US because of unselfish people like you.

John
    K4AGO

7. K1VW

K1VW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used both.

With the IF out it's a little different than I expected. If my rig is on USB (upper side band) then I have to set SRDuno to LSB, and vice-versa. The actual frequency I use in SDRuno isn't exactly 9.000 mhz. For USB/LSB you set it to 1.5khz higher or lower than 9mhz, so it's 8.998.500 and 9.001.500. I can't remember which is which off the top of my head (I'm at work). You can probably check a box somewhere and eliminate these madness, but once I figured it out I saved those as memory and I'm OK with it.

Using RX out, if my FTDX3000 is set to 20meters, the SDRuno can only hear 20meters, not 40 meters. I didn't realize this until after I bought it and hooked it up, and I'm a bit disappointed. They say it doesn't go though the roofing filter, but that probably means the 3khz IF roofing filter, there must still be some wide bandpass filter on the radio front end before this.

Good luck!
    Joe K1VW

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a notation about this offset bug on the SDRPlay website.

For now, they recommend using the RX out.