ad: M2Ant-1

Win update cleaned my computer, what to do?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WN2SQC, Jul 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WN2SQC

WN2SQC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just checked my laptop to find another win 10 update disaster. All of my files have disappeared, no downloads, no documents, no pictures. Nothing. All that’s available are the programs that MS decided they would keep. So, any ideas what to do, I checked the list of win updates and it doesn’t show any for today that could be uninstalled. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I have some backups but not everything.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WN2SQC

Hi John, Google may be a friend but you’re a better friend for your help, I tried it and it that did it. All is back where it belongs. Thank you very much, Ken

K1LKP likes this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"You've got this, John"

6. WD6USA

WD6USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yikes! I can't help but I can sympathize with your pain. It's good to hear you got it resolved.

I subscribed to Office 365, and when installing it, it somehow got the idea that I wanted all my photos and documents moved from the local hard drive (which has a local backup and a Cloud backup via Carbonite) to the OneDrive cloud. I was pretty careful and I know I did not ask for that, but perhaps I missed a sneaky and malicious question about it from Microsoft.

Anyway, the moving of the photos to OneDrive seems to have broken all the attributes that I had painstakingly added to thousands of photos via Adobe Photoshop. It has been a disaster, only some of which I have figured out a workaround and partial recovery of data.

When someone suggests that Microsoft is evil, I tend to agree these days.

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's simply an "undocumented 'feature' ":( provided by Microsoft.:mad: They also have some software that ONLY works with their "EDGE" browser, but not other browsers (such as" Firefox.":mad:)
    After all, MS knows best how you should (must) use your "kumpewtur."

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. WN2SQC

Jeff, I’m glad you resolved your problem. It would be nice if MS could provide an update that didn’t create problems. This isn’t the first time this type of problem was foisted on users. Maybe they could let users know in advance what an update was going to provide that was useful and let users decide if they wanted it. In any case thank you John. You were right, the 4th reboot did the trick.

9. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you guys continue to put up with this recurring nonsense from M$?
    Frank

N4UP, KK4NSF and KF5RRF like this.
  10. WN2SQC