Win 7 Backup, Any Help with Win 10.....

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, Aug 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, as @KA9JLM said, and I forgot to mention, you don't want to boot from the disk you're trying to xcopy. I booted from a DOS "floppy disk" at the time to xcopy my hard drive.

Yes, I used Partition Magic until it no longer supported the newer low level formats.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I KNOW it is a bit of a pain, but Open Office (or Libre Office) WILL read current MS (such Awful 365) files, and save them in a version I can use with Office Pro '97. And that is on a WIN 10 machine! Even the "365 rent-a-suite" versions CAN save files in a format readable by such programs Pre-2007; but (cough, cough, whimper:() it takes a couple of extra rodent clicks to do so. And probably 99.44% of 365 users never use the (supposed) extra features that somehow "demanded" (at least in Micro$oft's eyes) a file format change. I have no problem reading data files created with MS Office, or MS Word, even pre-Windows versions. And picture files (in normal format, such as bmp. jpeg, etc.) are readable by any OS version, at least up through Win 10. (I STILL use PaintShopPro 5.01 in Windows 10 for viewing pictures, even though it was released for Win '95 [whatever/whenever that was:rolleyes:...]) That's through SIX versions of Windows OS. (OOPS, seven, but Windows ME doesn't really count, does it?:confused:)

3. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Aha! Yes, that would cause the reported problem. Like you I've got Win 10, 7, and Linux on my main machine in the office. Win 7 was only being used to run XP in a VM. Talk about a mish-mash.

While we are on the subject in cases like this it is probably better to just run everything else in a VM. The Win 7 version (Virtual PC) worked pretty well even with things like serial ports. It also gave you a license to run all the prior Windows versions. The new VM hypervisor, Hyper-V, on Win 10 is supposed to work even better but my understanding is that the licensing issue became murkier. I've installed it but haven't made time to use it. In the last year the software and web site that required older versions were FINALLY updated.

It sure makes things easier to just bring up a VM when needed rather than shutting everything down and rebooting each time. Plus you don't have to worry about adding drives and repartitioning existing ones.

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Only to us baby boomers.

Millennium children have no clue.

ME was the first to offer system restore points, That worked.

All versions still say Chicago for OS ID in the drivers.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

¿ What does a .apk have to do with this subject ?

6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Username: OPENAPKFILE

Bot alert. Sure, go ahead and click on the link. Go ahead. (No don't...)

Anybody click on the "Report" link yet?