ad: M2Ant-1

Win 7 Backup, Any Help with Win 10.....

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, Aug 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The hard drives in my 18 y/o Win 98 (nee Win '95, nee WfWG!) STILL work. One problem is now, it's almost impossible to find a hard drive that is even as small as 1 TB; 2-3 TB is are now common. I don't know HOW people populate such drives:confused:, (unless they store movies up the kazoo?) I'd be MORE than happy with a couple of 250 GB drives, rather than a single HUGE drive, but small drives either are no longer manufactured, or are only available "used." And as you stated, the reliability (and/or longevity) of SSD's is still unproven.
    Either way, backups are mandatory.

2. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As long as it isn't a laptop or a Dell* add two or more SSDs to a RAID. Doesn't negate the need for backups but does protect you from a drive failure.

*Some Dell models deliberately disable RAID unless you pay extra. Paying extra doesn't add anything, they just don't go out of their way to disable it.

3. WA9SVD

Backups are just as necessary , even WITH RAID. I've seen "RAID" backup drives fail BEFORE the primary drive; the same can happen with SSD drives, we just don't know if the SSD's will last 5, 10, 20 years or not. And whether "ye olde" mechanical/magnetic hard drives are used, or SSD's are used, it is just a matter of time before they DO fail; it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. (The only exception is if you get rid of the computer before a drive fails.)
    As I said above, I have a computer tast is more than 18 years old, and the original HD's are still functioning as well as ever. On the other hand, I have experienced the occasional hard drive that failed within the (2-5 year) warrantee period and had to be replaced by the manufacturer. As I said, it's just a matter of time, when a failure happens, not a matter of "IF" a failure will happen.. Proper back ups just make the recovery process less painful.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    KA9JLM likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

My new machine is a Dell. You just have to go into the BIOS and setup RAID.

It is not Disabled, It is just not Enabled unless you buy a Dell system with 2 disk drives.

WA9SVD likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

I'm not sure D*ll machines with two drives are necessarily set up for RAID right from the factory; I believe it is up to the end user to enable RAID, and set it up properly.

6. NG1H

On some models. Others are permanently disabled. You cannot add it without purchasing another motherboard.

7. KA9JLM

That is most likely correct.

Mine only came factory with one drive.

But the setup option is in BIOS and a user can set things up properly.

8. KA9JLM

OK. That must be the ones with a Locked BIOS.

You buy it with Windows 10 and that is all that will work on it.

Is that correct ? If so, You have to Hack the BIOS, So you can do what YOU want.

9. NG1H

A quick check shows that it was the Optiplex series that came this way. The Intel motherboard comes with the raid capability built in but Dell blocks that feature. And no, you cannot load a BIOS from a different series or even from Intel (these are Intel motherboards) to enable it. The first time I noted this was on an order from about 3-4 years ago. There was a bit of an uproar from customers over the issue because Dell was telling them that they had to buy a new computer, or at least an overpriced motherboard, to "activate" it. From a Google search it look like Dell stopped this practice and as long as the motherboard supports it they no longer permanently disable RAID.

10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

There may or may not be some expectation of being able to run the files, yet if you have Windows 7 Pro in 64-bit version- that could be a good start. I would try to pre-format optical media on the Windows 10 machine ( maybe running the latest version of that- say after the 'Creator' version ). Then I would see if the Windows 7 machine could copy individual text files to the pre-formatted optical disks. In order to get some speed for this type of operation, you might want to consider the use of the "Command Prompt" Command XCOPY.exe, found on my machine at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ subdirectory. To use it from the command prompt: HELP XCOPY will give a list of features. Files which you may not be able to use on the Windows 10 machine may include any and all of those with file extents: .EXE, .DLL, .SYS, and many programs. They also want to sell the MS Office suite stuff on a lease-basis, so your old files may import from Win 7- yet once touched by certain Office 365 stuff- may not be useable on the Win 7 machine again. That might apply to file extents: .xls, .doc, etcetera. This might also include .docx, .xlsx, and you get the idea. The only other files that might work under Win 10 may be: .png and .bmp depending upon the Win7 program that wrote them and the Win 10 program to read them. While there may be others, most folks are concerned with the Office app data files. Embedded files within may also be an issue. For instance, you can cut and paste a 'Paint' or .BMP or .PNG file into a Word Document, yet will that play on Win 10 just as well as a regular .doc or .docx file? I think that may depend on the versions of the programs. USB-drives might be better than optical drives for verification, yet they are generally smaller- less useful for 'backup' depending on drive size. Finally, be aware that many files are intentionally hidden. The "Command Prompt" commands HELP ATTRIB may help with that, if you have the user status ( Superuser ) in some situations. These commands often require the proper upper/lower case directory and file names and underline characters where you may see just spaces between letters.

KA9JLM likes this.