Win 10 Printer

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Apr 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Does anyone know how or where to find drivers to use an HP-4P with Win 10? I know it's old, but still a workhorse, even if s_l_o_w, and I still have 2 toner cartridges for it.

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

If all else fails, sometimes you can get some of the features to work with a similar driver. I suggest setting a restore point before loading an unknown driver.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. VE3ZYR

VE3ZYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Try the one microsoft provides, manually select the driver and when the list comes up - click the update button underneath it - then wait some time for it to update the list.
    printer.jpg

5. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not quite a "Windows wizard" so I'll give a tip that I learned from Mac and Linux. If the printer supports PostScript then you can often use a generic PostScript printer driver and get good output. It might need some setting tweaks for things like maximum resolution, paper trays, and so forth. Not every HP laser printer supported PostScript but in my experience most do from the factory or because someone installed the PostScript upgrade. I don't use PCL much so maybe there's a generic driver for that, and I'm quite certain every HP laser printer supports some version of PCL.

Here's something I picked up from my Windows experience, sometimes the kind of port/connection seems to make a difference. Even though you may use a parallel or USB cable to connect the printer the driver might want to see a virtual network connection. This is done in the install and setup, instead of selecting "local connection" you choose "networked device", then when asked for the "network" you select "USB001" or "LPT001" or something like that. I'm not sure of the age of the printer you are working with but really old printers seem to like a serial connection over a parallel one, even if both ports exist on the printer. This is fortunate since serial ports seemed to outlive parallel ports on modern computers. If there is no serial port available a USB-to-serial adapter is easy to find and inexpensive. If you have a parallel port on both computer and printer then you can try that too if you don't get satisfactory output, its often slower than serial but that's better than not working at all. If by chance you have a printer with a USB port then actually try that before buying any adapter, the early USB printers were problematic as the standard was still in flux but it might still work and save you the $20 for a new adapter cable.

Oh, there's something like three versions of PostScript and six versions of PCL, be sure to use the right one. The versions for both are highly forward and backward compatible so sometimes a version mismatch don't matter much. If it's Postscript then it's likely PostScript version 2, version 1 didn't gather much support and version 3 didn't add much but higher licensing costs so most people stuck with version 2.

I hope that helps.

6. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 10 recently rolled out the "Creator" version, an update that 'killed' some printers on a network that I was once maintaining. The roll-back idea may help you, or you might consider re-installation ( if you can ). We managed to 'resurrect' at least one printer by dropping the printer driver, then finding the same driver used previously ( not from the Internet ). This involved use of Control Panel, Device Manager, and the 'install or remove' under Control Panel. Since I am accustomed to 'Classic View', your options may vary slightly. Now you know why my personal machine runs Win 7. Please let us know how you solve the issue... 73

7. WA9SVD

I only have intermittent access to the H-P printer, so I may not respond instantly. I found the (alleged) PCL5 driver, but it is zipped, and when I tried to open it, I got a message"cannot create c\..... " and that's all that happens.
    Actually, I'm trying to use the printer in Win 8.1, to be upgraded to Win 10, and the PCL driver I downloaded IS for Win 8.1. I understand that those that upgraded from Win 7 have the driver installed, but my Win 8.1 and Win 10 machines never had the driver initially installed through win 7. I'd be happy (for now) to even get the printer working with Win 8.1, but would ultimately want to use it with Win 10.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like you may need to move the zip file to a safe location. c:\.....

Not unzipped or installed from the downloaded location.

Good Luck.

9. WA9SVD

That's my next step. BUT... the error message stated C/ not C:/. The colon was not there, so I will have to investigate further . I'm almost tempted to use the "Mythbuster's " solution. (You know, C-4!)

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You will most likely have better luck with C:\ than C:/ for a local path.

Good Luck. /\