ad: elecraft

Win 10 - How can I get windows sizes and positions to be retained?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K1APJ, May 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K1APJ

K1APJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excuse me in advance if the answer is obvious, but is there a way to force Win 10 to remember the size/position of application windows? Or is it application-dependent?

Some applications seem to keep their position indefinitely. others always open in the same inconvenient location, and some seem to follow no pattern.

Thanks in advance!

2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's up to the individual application to remember such things - if it chooses to do so. Windows does not get involved in such things.

Martin (G8FXC)

3. K1APJ

K1APJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow!

I asked a direct question and got a direct answer with no dissenting voices!

Thank you for your succinct response!

WF7A likes this.
  4. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I love it when things like this happen in an internet forum! I'll thank you too Martin!

5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It can be a bit of a double-edged sword, you know! I recently had an application on my PC which remembered its window size and position and somehow managed to store values that were completely off the screen - I had the devil's own job to get it to display again... There is something convenient about a well implemented application that remembers such things, but one that simply reopens in the middle of the screen can be safer!

Martin (G8FXC)

6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I handle some of the window positioning problem by never actually shutting down my computer. The exception, of course, is for updates. There are are group of applications that I always use, and they are positioned where I want them. So when I am done using the computer for the day, I just put it to sleep. When I am ready to work again, I just hit the power button. In 15-20 seconds, I'm ready to go. Everything is where I left them.

This works with my W10 systems and my XP system. With the XP system, I use a wireless keyboard and mouse. When I put it to sleep, I turn off the keyboard and mouse. When I'm ready to run again, I just turn on the keyboard and mouse, and hit the ESC key. Everything comes back up, all by itself.

The "off the screen" issue has been a issue for a very long time. I have a Windows 3.1 system where you can lose a window off screen. At work, we use to use the issue to hide some of our work from prying eyes. The only problem I ever had was, realizing that the app wasn't broken. It was just off the screen.

8. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a setting in W-10 that will capture your existing setup and restore it after booting.

Sorry I can’t remember what it’s called, but search in settings. It wasn’t hard to find and definitely worth searching for. I think I found it by Google.

I have a bunch of applications running that are restored each time, including 4 tabs in IE, timefudge, HRD, HRD logbook, WSJT and WSJT Alert, etc.

It's a huge time saver and I don’t have to burn up PCs by leaving them on 24/7 when I only use them in the evening and on weekends.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you dumping caches at every shutdown?

10. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Used to be you could hold down the shift key and then click-close the window and Windows would remember that size and position next time you opened it. Maybe it still works?