WIN 10 End of Service (EoS) for software versions

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WQ6N, Aug 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Typo? Try SPEAK soft---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You won't have any luck updating to Win 8; it is no longer supported. (It was DOA in a shorter time than VISTA OR WinME:eek::() You WILL, however, by led to a place to "upgrade" to Win8.1, free of charge. Win 8.1 is relatively stable, and usable for at least another couple of years. All you have to lose is the time it takes to download the upgrade. Going from VISTA (BLECH!) to Win 8.1 with a Win 8 upgrade disk on a dual core Pentium Lenovo took about four hours total. (I inherited the Lenovo; the original got fed up with it and Vista, with multiple errors on a daily basis.) After replacing the memory and a HD reformat, the retail VISTA installed flawlessly.. THEN, the computer sat for a few years. The ONLY two times I used VISTA on the machine was to activate VISTA, and upgrade to Win 8.1 I still use THAT machine as a back-up to my Win 10 machines.)

3. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not so good. Let's say the clinic's computer breaks down and they need to buy a new computer to run their MRI software. Might be possible now. But in a few years hardware might not even be available -- might be hard to find a machine to run older O.S.es like Win98. The BIOS may simply throw an error "unrecognized O.S.".

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, they're in the market to buy a new/used MRI--the service contract to keep their current one running is $100k/year. The MRI tech said that he'll miss the current one because it's images are far crisper than the newer digital ones.

5. WA9SVD

The "nice" think about Win 98 is it will run on most any computer, and does NOT need "activation." So of their current computer dies, they can replace it (usually) with most computers.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, You can Self activate XP.

7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

actually.... you can self-activate WIN7, or so I've heard. ;)

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes that is true, You can.

The Win 7 Ultimate version that I have required no MS activation.

upload_2019-10-2_10-26-36.png

It even has the complete MS Office package. Plus some toys to play with. :)

upload_2019-10-2_10-31-8.png

Windows 7 Rocks on...

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

Please explain:confused::rolleyes:

10. WA9SVD

Unfortunately, unless you PAID extra, those are "trial" size programs , and allow only a few weeks or limited uses before they become "read only," and don't allow saving files, editing files, etc. In some cases, they simply will not allow operation at all after a short period of time. (With an offer from Microshaft to BUY the full package. ) But for Win 2003 and above, the Pro package is around $500 or more.