Will repeatedly reprogramming HTs wear them out?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by AC0GT, Apr 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So their $24 radio only lasted nine years before failing?! ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The Wouxun KG-UVD1P series that had memory issues cost about $100 back then.
    Some were bad out of the box and some failed later on. I bought one in 2010 and it developed memory problems about 2 years later.

3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand and appreciate the warnings to avoid the CCRs (cheap Chinese radios) but does this apply to the Tera radios I'm looking at?

A quick look at some "big name" single and dual band ham radios and I see the Tera TR-505 is about half the price of a dual band ham HT and about the same price as a single band HT. This is understandable since the ham radios have a keypad and simple display while this MURS/GMRS radio does not. The business band TR-500 is nearly identical in features and price to the TR-505 so same applies to it. A quick look at what's offered on the Ham Radio Outlet website shows a lot of very nice handheld radios under $100 or $150, and most of them under $300. Seems like all radios are "cheap" these days, or maybe just inexpensive.

The TR-590 radio looks interesting too, and it shares a lot of parts/accessories with the TR-500 and TR-505 radios. It's a bit more "ham friendly" with a display and keypad, dual receive, and a bit higher priced because of it. Seems to have received good reviews among both the Part 90 and Part 97 crowds.

Tera radios seems to be getting good support from the people at Powerwerx and Ham Radio Outlet so I don't believe to be in the same class as the Wouxun radios.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Radios that do that have a frontend broad as a barn door, And will get interference if you are near a city and/or have a good antenna.

5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Tera is just another CCR as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what their quality is like.
    Powerwerx, the importer and dealer, is a reputable company. I have never seen anybody complain about them.

6. AC0GT

That explains things with the Yaesu HT that I sold. It had wideband receive and it kept picking up what I assumed to be police dispatch when I tried dual receive. They must have had/have frequency hopping FM of some kind because it would be very intermittent. It got to be too annoying so I sold it, I had other radios and I only got it because of the dual receive. Looking now I can easily find radios that can receive NOAA but no luck with FM broadcast. Seems like most any 2 meter or dual band ham radio can receive the NOAA channels.

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Not frequency hopping, just intermod when 2 (or maybe more) signals are present at the same time and mix in your cheap no-front end receiver. That's why it appears intermittently.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the radios made in China will transmit on the Weather Channel as well.

You can transmit your local forecast. :rolleyes:

9. AC0GT

The radio I had may have been "cheap" but it was not inexpensive. I believe it was a Yaesu VX-7R. Radios with similar features today probably sell for half the price what I spent for that Yaesu then, and probably less intermod too.

I see the Tera TR-590 does in fact have FM broadcast receive, which makes it attractive. Over the weekend, between house cleaning and watching videos on swords and castles, I've been looking for reviews on the Tera radios. I don't recall reading anything bad except the near universal complaint of all radios that the included antenna sucks. Such a complaint that is easily rectified.

The goal is to experiment with Part 95 and Part 90 radios while expanding my Part 97 operating ability. Oh, and not spend too much money or accumulate gear I won't use. I don't see too many options in a programmable Part 95 compliant handheld radio, no other option really. Part 90 radios are far easier to find but that's not really useful unless I can convince my business acquaintances they need new radios.

Isn't the primary complaint among the CCRs is that they have poor transmit quality? If Tera has received Part 90 and Part 95 certifications, and kept them for something like 5 years now, then it would seem they produce an acceptable quality signal. No?

Again, the concerns raised seem to be about CCRs in general and not about Tera radios specifically. Is there anything about Tera radios specifically I should be concerned about?

I was about ready to buy some radios but I'm thinking I may have to think this over some more. This could get expensive real quick if I choose poorly. Some suggestions for alternate products would be very much appreciated.

10. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen amplifiers and amplifier kits sold at eBay for HT's.

I guess that is a comment on the usefulness of a HT.

I added a better antenna. I still can't get into the local repeater with my Wouxon KG-UV3D.

I would say: evaluate the usefulness of an HT for you.

2-way communication hiking or bicycling, or perhaps a nearby repeater?

I have seen the HT used for digital with FLDIGI software.