ad: ARR

Will a bent director element affect performance?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by G0VQY, Dec 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Give this some thought... We are discussing ducks here!

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thought this was another ARRL rant. :p

K5WY, WG8Z, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  3. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems that everybody fancies himself as a comedian:D:D:D
    Actually, the antenna has very good SWR and seems to work okay. Mind you, I don't think the parasitic elements really have much effect on the radiating elements which are thankfully nice and straight.
    To be honest, I wouldn't even call it a bend, it's more of a slight curve upwards. I think it's probably best left alone. I'll do some operating and see how we get on. At the moment, we've had so much bad weather and strong winds that the antenna tower is right down so the beam is barely 30 feet above the ground. Once the winds die down I'll crank the tower right up and see what happens.

K8PG and K0UO like this.
  4. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I checked; it's SHORTER than the other. What now?

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, the antenna has very good SWR and seems to work okay. Mind you, I don't think the parasitic elements really have much effect on the radiating elements which are thankfully nice and straight.
    To be honest, I wouldn't even call it a bend, it's more of a slight curve upwards. I think it's probably best left alone. I'll do some operating and see how we get on. [/QUOTE]

I totally agree, and that's what I said on my original post also.

"If it loads use it"

6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have ducks, I have chickens.

7 of them, 6 hens and a roo.

My antennas are way higher up then chickens can fly, as I find they (the antennas) work much better that way.

Rege

P.S. I have "free range, cageless, organic West Asheville eggs for sale (to offset my radio addiction)

For a limited time, I am offering them for sale (the eggs :)) at my co$t.

$2.85 each fob Asheville NC :rolleyes::p

7. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the element was completly missing you would loose about 1db. So a slightly bent end director might affect the main lobe but very little and at worst 0.3db i wouldn't loose any sleep over it.. You can do a simulation on 4nec2 and enter a bent element to match yours, i doubt it will even be noticable... Get it powered up and forget about it..

8. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

That is nothing to worry about. Rotate the other way for the next wind storm or big bird collision.