Wildlife and Coax

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Jun 9, 2019.

?

Which of the following animals do you have first-hand knowledge of damaging coax cables

1. Bear

2. Deer

3. Fox

4. Coyote

5. Racoon

6. Opossum

7. Turkey

8. Hawks

9. Owls

10. Squirrel

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Chipmunks, moles, voles, mice, rabbits, feral cats, coyote, deer, turkey, bears (passing thru), foxes, woodchucks, fisher cats, porcupines, squirrels, Ive missed several Im sure as this is very rural. Some of them keep the hawks busy and well fed.

The bad news is that Lyme Disease and Babesiosis, both from ticks, is near epidemic in the state and have attached themselves to most animals. All my outdoor clothes and shoes are treated with Permethrin which is good for up to 6 washings.

Carl

2. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Never had a problem with large or small animals and feedlines. Automobiles are another story. Cat and .22 keeps the population down. Yes we live in the woods. Now fire ants and black ants are a problem. Tics? Inspection and frequent baths help. We also do not feed wildlife or try to attract them. Coyotes. See them. Shoot them. They invaded and killed off all the Bob-whites. I happen to like the sound of Bob-whites. Coyotes not so.

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Something or somebody keeps messing with my guy wires along the security fence. :(

4. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing a 10kV charge won't fix.
    [​IMG]

Around here rats are the most prominent animal cable danger. Hares and rabbits usually don't care, roe deers aren't a problem as well, and the largest wildlife predator we have is the red fox while the most dangerous ones are the ticks.

5. G0CIQ

G0CIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in SE England we don't have to deal with many of the problems you do Stateside although I notice that the biggest number of votes is for the squirrel...we have had problems with these because our internet connection is through a phone cable that goes from our house to the telephone exchange (all of a hundred feet away!) through some trees that ironically are owned by the phone company! The squirrels like to chew on the cable insulation and if the weather is wet and/or windy the internet connection pretty soon degrades to the point of uselessness. I work in the railroad station which is close both to home and the telephone exchange, this also suffers the same problem. I would certainly expect damage to coax if routed through trees and would be inclined to either take protective measures or route the cable somewhere else.
    We have two types of squirrel in the UK, the native species is the Red Squirrel which tends to be less destructive but is mostly in parts of Northern England, Wales and Scotland as well as offshore islands whereas the Grey which was introduced from North America in the 19th century is prevalent in much of Southern England...it's these that are going for our cables! Apparently the Greys can carry squirrelpox, a virus which is relatively harmless to them but often fatal to the Reds, which is one reason for the latter's decline.
    The other main cause of damage here is rats, though this is most likely to be to underground cables buried in conduits.
    We don't really have much in the way of larger wild animals here although there are deer in the woods and the trains sometimes hit the odd Wild Boar!

6. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

add rabbits to your list....

G0CIQ likes this.