ad: QSKLLC-1

Wildlife and Coax

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Jun 9, 2019.

?

Which of the following animals do you have first-hand knowledge of damaging coax cables

1. Bear

2. Deer

3. Fox

4. Coyote

5. Racoon

6. Opossum

7. Turkey

8. Hawks

9. Owls

10. Squirrel

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I saw your post #8. You talked about a lot of things, but no mention of coax being damaged, other than your assuming that it would be "fair game". I was asking about actual cases of coax damage specifically. Rodents living in your attic insulation doesn't answer the question.

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not feasible for most of the distance I have to cover. Maybe in the clearing where I would put up the antennas, and the last 20 feet or so to the building wheere the shack is. This is "wild" wooded area and it'd have to go across hundreds of tree roots plus several rock outcroppings.

If coax damage by animals was genuinely a constant, pervasive problem, I would consider running it through some heavy-wall plastic pipe, such as water service pipe, but that is not very flexible and would not lie flat on the ground.

If damage by animals is relative rare, then I'd just lay it on the ground and be prepared to make repairs occasionally.

But going into this, the whole point is that I don't know priori if it's a constant pervasive problem, or is relatively rare. That's what I'm trying to get a handle on. First-hand accounts are helpful.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

How can you possibly omit moose?

AD5HR likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

moose on pole.jpg

5. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I had RG8 chewed up when I had a 15M dipole strung up between
    my pecan trees, and the jacket chewed off some 1/2" heliax feeding a 2M beam.
    The RG8 didn't fare so well, but they didn't chew through the copper
    jacket of the heliax so it was still usable.
    Living on a small lot with six 50 year old pecan trees is probably
    why squirrels are such a problem here.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

.410 can fix whatever it is. :)

N0TZU, KA0HCP and AD5HR like this.
  7. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gophers should be added to the poll option. We have these nasty little critters that will chew whatever they happen to come across (buried).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_pocket_gopher

They usually stick to roots but will munch on tasty coaxial jackets and wire if it is not buried in PVC. Normal electrical PVC pipe seems to deter them.

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

... and also Woodpeckers, they even try to make holes in towers and antennas too.

9. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

how about adding "rabid" lawn mowers
    one recently ate some of my satellite antenna cables

:D:D

KB2SUJ, WG8Z and KA9JLM like this.
  10. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Rodents hands down. Voles in the ground, mice above and all the variations of the species inbetween. I had eliminated all from my property at one time (hunting dogs showed no mercy) but once the dogs were gone, young rodents came and now they are all matured and show no fear. My car,s motorcycles , gas grill and tractor have all been vandalized. Any exposed cabling. Only hoses and wires in heavy conduit are somewhat safe. The only, time I have not had a problem is when whatever they typically chowed down on was used regularly. Use it every few days and they seem to know to leave it alone.