Wildlife and Coax

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Jun 9, 2019.

?

Which of the following animals do you have first-hand knowledge of damaging coax cables

1. Bear

2. Deer

3. Fox

4. Coyote

5. Racoon

6. Opossum

7. Turkey

8. Hawks

9. Owls

10. Squirrel

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Rodents will chew things whether they are hungry or not.
    Read post #8. I doubt any animal gets hungry enough to
    eat PVC and/or lead!
    Rodents must chew to wear down their constantly growing
    teeth, and yes they will chew coax, wires,tubing, anything
    chew-able.
    Feeding them will only assure more rodents around to
    chew on things.

WD8ED, K0UO, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The "none" category is already covered by just not checking any of the boxes listed. Adding another box for "None" would have been redundant.

If I had not run out of options, I would have included "Other".

3. NN4RH

Have you had first-hand experience with that; i.e. has that happened to you, or are you merely repeating somethign you've read somewhere on the internet?

Looking for factual information, not folklore.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Repeating for the third time....

Rodents must chew to wear down their constantly growing teeth. They will chew anything that strikes their fancy. It has nothing to do with food supply or hunger. (degreed biologist).

KP4SX, K0UO and AD5HR like this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Squirrels have chewed our wooden deck, plastic containers, metal furniture, not to mention coax cables.

K0UO likes this.
  6. NN4RH

First, I never said anything about food supply. I asked about damage to coax.

If rodents chewing on coax were such a pervasive problem as some make it out to be; then nobody, anywhere, would ever be able to run coax from their shack to an antenna!

But we know that people do have coax, so the internet folklore must be exaggerated. That's why I was hoping for first-hand reports of such damage, rather than the usual internet folklore and spurious theorists.

Are you saying that it's a game of chance? I've three acres of tree branches, bushes, old fencing, miscellaneous trash from previous owners, and other things to chew on, and only one run of coax. If they're going to chew on anything at random, then chances are that it will be something other than the coax.

The orginal question remains: Have YOU, personally, first-hand, had your coax chewed up?

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To amplify, I've had one (1) incident in 39 years of operating, and that was with the antenna wire in mid-air, not the coax.

I think that for most hams it chewing damage is only an occasional occurrence. I wouldn't really spend time worrying about it.

-Don't lay coax on the ground, along fence rails or straight up a tree, where it is easily accessed by squirrels.
    -Bury coax if needed
    -Use burial rated coax or flooded coax where exposed to deter gnawing if it is a problem.

Good luck.

AD5HR likes this.
  8. NN4RH

OK Thanks. That answers the question with first-hand information, as asked; not internet folklore or theory.

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven’t had any trouble with animals chewing cables or wires, and there is opportunity where they enter and exit conduit and run for 10 feet, plus some going up the side of the house.

On the other hand, my neighbor had squirrels eat part of his greenhouse roof which was fiberglass panels. They also were chewing the new tips off our pine trees :mad:. They are cute, but destructive little pests.

I think there are many variables in each situation. Opportunity, location of the cable relative to travel paths, presence of people or predators, how secure the animal feels at that location, population pressure, etc.

10. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you not read post#8??
    Yes I have witnessed it "first hand" with rats, mice, and
    squirrels.
    I have also had to repair siding where racoons had chewed
    their way through, and gotten into people's attics. (first removing
    or killing them)