Wildlife and Coax

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Jun 9, 2019.

?

Which of the following animals do you have first-hand knowledge of damaging coax cables

1. Bear

2. Deer

3. Fox

4. Coyote

5. Racoon

6. Opossum

7. Turkey

8. Hawks

9. Owls

10. Squirrel

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now living on 3 wooded acres, surrounded on three sides with 30+ acres of undevelopable land, and no antenna restrictions. I am wondering what I can expect if I run a length of coax on the ground back into the woods to a small clearing on a hill where I can put up some 80 & 40 meter verticals, maybe a tower at some point. Not feasible to bury the coax most of the way (tree roots, gullies, lots of rock, etc) and would prefer not to have to run conduit through the woods (trip hazard). I could run the coax elevated from tree to tree if necessary but that would be a lot of work for 150 to 200 foot run. The easiest thing is to just let it lay on the ground.

I know I have the animals listed in the poll either living on or frequently passing through my property. There are others, for example mice, snakes, and stray feral dogs. Looking for first-hand knowledge for the poll question, please not the usual internet folklore and spurious theories.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hot sauce.....
    Ymmv

3. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2019-6-9_9-12-19.jpeg
    ~May 1993
    Wife and Son: "Can we get a rabbit?"
    W1TRY: "NO, they chew!"
    They got a rabbit, I wasn't happy but the vote was 2 to 1 and I came home to EB (Easter Bunny) one day.
    EB chewed the outer coax coating and ruined 300 feet of RG-213U and 200 feet of 9913, 100 feet of 8 conductor rotor cable and essentially every stereo wire within the zip code.
    Apparently, this put him into heat and he then got angry and turned into Legendary Black Beast of Arrrghhh (named for the last utterance of anyone who ever saw it,) AKA The Rabbit of Caerbannog (Monty Python and the Holy Grail.)
    Wife and Son: "We don't like him, can you find a home for him?"
    :cool:

4. NN4RH

Hm. We have seen rabbits around the property, too. Thanks.

5. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't think of any damage from animals in my 60+ years of playing with antennas.

I've mostly lived in rural areas. We now live in an urban area on about a 1/3 acre lot that backs up to a highway right-of-way that is home to raccoons, possum, deer, turkey, fox, coyotes, squirrels/chipmunks, skunks, voles, and who knows what else.

I've had some damage to what I assume was from deer running into guy wires. I've had critters eat the wiring and gas lines in my vehicles and farm equipment.

Humans (inclding me) have caused much more damage, usually when mowing/bushogging things like my radicals, coax and water hoses that were on top of the ground. Critters have built nests in my radios stored in sheds and barns. And small black racer snakes have tried to trick me into thinking they were RG8 or RG11 while they were drinking all my rootbeer.

I dont think I'd worry about the critters.

Ken

N0TZU likes this.
  6. NN4RH

I appreciate the post. I think until I get time to do this project in a couple of weeks, I'll leave a 30 foot peice of old coax out in the woods, and see if anything happens to it.

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never had any problems with coax. Squirrels gnawed on some hookup wire I was using as a temporary full wave loop; but only one day. Now, ask about garden hoses...

Suggestions: Consider using direct bury coax amateur coax like Bury-Flex with tough coating, or RG-6 type commercial coax with 'flooded" construction which has a gooey gel that oozes out when cut.

8. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Around here, most damage is caused by the chewing done by rodents.
    Mice, rats, and tree rats (squirrels) are the worst offenders as they must
    chew to control tooth growth.
    Squirrels are the most destructive, I've replaced lead pipe flashings
    where the squirrels had eaten through the lead and PVC plumbing
    vent to the point they could enter the attic.
    Once in the attic, they nested in the insulation, and chewed up the
    wiring and A.C. ducts.
    Field rats will chew up the wiring and hoses on any vehicle left unattended,
    so coax will be "fair game".

KB2SUJ likes this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't recall any coax problems with animals over the years. Did have a squirrel chew on a rotor cable. The result was an investment in time to try and determine if it was the rotor or the control box that was not working. They were both fine, repaired the cable and all was well.

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

OM, Since you've excluded the None category this is a lop-sided and inaccurate survey!....
    With that said, one would assume by the survey that it's quite a common problem.

NEVER had any animal interested in what little coaxial cabling I have on the gnd or burried.
    Bulk bagged Peanuts in the shell or shelled corn might be a good deterrent to any starving squirrells dining on cable insulation, cheap insurance and you make new wildlife friends in the mean time. Stale bread works well too, also stale cereal and popcorn.
    THEY WILL EAT WHAT THEY FIND WHEN STARVED.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019