Wide Bandwidth Digital Danger

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6EM, Dec 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's one problem. Only N0TZU can read a message directed to N0TZU while in enhanced mode. The recipient signs up for an account, but they bust people stealing calls all the time. Here on QRZ, you're the only guy who can use N0TZU, but on their system, someone could steal your call if you're not already signed up. As far as I know, an existing acct can't be spoofed, but you have to renew on a timely basis, and if you forget... The Sys Admins can see and store messages, but that doesn't satisfy FCC rules, as far as I can tell.

2. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Is Enhanced mode a Winlink feature? So this particular nit (and I don't mean that in a bad way) is uniquely problematic with the Winlink "application layer" and not the modem layer?

3. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it encodes or encrypts email message content to where it is only read by sysops and email receiptients -- yes, it is illegal.

Care to differ? Sing your tune.

4. N1FM

The compression scheme used by the German modem made by SCS is proprietary.

NL7W likes this.
  5. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyway, ARDOP is used for more than just Winlink. There are several text chat applications available that use it. The reason ARDOP2 was dropped is that there was an issue with it not working if the frequencies were too far off.

6. N1FM

WinLink wants to remain legal so they ask users of the SCS modems to turn off the compression that munges the message, but even ARRL NTS users have sent messages using the compression scheme.

7. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

And not used by Winlink.

8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Prove it.

Besides, their email content is encoded and has been unreadable for at least a decade. This action is intentional and specific. It is contrary to FCC rules and is therefore illegal.

Common carriers, especially the wireless and LEC carriers I have worked for as an engineer, downloaded and kept in storage all emails, text messages, and all SS7 voice call-related metadata indefinitely. They are required to by the Feds. In fact, the federal government collects much of that itself -- the metadata specifically (the number calling, the number called, and call duration). All other data remains available for collection through subpoena.

How long does Winlink keep their data? Three weeks as we've been told? More BS operations, if true. And if true, the such email system usage is ripe for the picking by bad actors.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  9. N1FM

Winlink users use the SCS modems which munge the messages.

Attention RMS Sysops: SCS Modem Firmware Update
    SCS has released a new firmware production version 2.30.30 for the SCS Dragon modem that incorporates bug fixes and a solution to the problem reported earlier here.

Please update your firmware! It's available at the SCS web site along with the firmware loader.

--The Winlink Development Team

https://www.winlink.org/tags/update

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

This gets into an interesting area in the Part 97 rules. I can speak Swahili on my local repeater to another ham that understands Swahili, and chances are nobody listing would have a clue what we were talking about. SO LONG AS my PURPOSE was NOT to OBSCURE, this is perfectly legal.

But, how do you show that? How do you show intent? When RTTY came along, only hams with expensive, heavy, complicated beasts could understand what was being said over the air. Lots of hams were "shut out". But it was legal IF the intent was not to obscure the meaning of the transmission. If I use compression with the intent to save bandwidth - not to obscure - we're OK, right? Q-Codes have been long used on CW to "compress" a common phrase or idea. "73" and "88" is pretty much universally understood by hams, but meaningless to the general person on the street.

Furthermore, controlling access has been accepted - PL and DCS encoding is accepted to limit who can access a repeater. If this "encoding" is OK to limit access, where does it stop?