Wide Bandwidth Digital Danger

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6EM, Dec 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Encryption and encoding are different. Encoding is data manipulation to make it usable, giving it a structure such as a B-tree, sequences of timed keying or formatting to provide error checking or redundancy like convolutional encoding. The design of the algorithms to encode data do not include keeping the unauthorized or unintended from getting at the data. The only reason it provides any security is because of the inherent obfuscation or technical barriers, no matter how trivial they may be.

Encryption is taking data, and presenting it in a form so it can only be used by the intended party or parties. It is the only reason an algorithm or method exists.

Enigma encrypted messages that would be encoded by a telegraphy operator on a German submarine.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    W4JHU, KK4CUL and NL7W like this.
  2. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a "yacht people" and 99.99% of yacht people think SSB is archaic museum technology. There are not enough "yacht people" around that care about this stuff to get enough comments for the FCC to notice :rolleyes:
    This is what everyone wants now: https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/ or similar.
    If you dig into the ARRL digital schemes, I doubt they care even slightly about a few boats. There is another agenda here.
    Also - once again - my 100 watt radio running on 12.4 volts from 9,000 miles away is not wiping out anyone's anything. More like never heard by anyone. The band-wrecking potential is not from boats!

3. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Informal poll,

On a daily basis, how much of your eMail is spam ?

Spam bands anyone?

Just a thought as to what exactly may be driving this

4. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

The phone guys should pay attention to what's currently in front of the FCC. Just a refresher, RM-11306 would have allowed wideband data anywhere, including the phone bands. If anyone doesn't think the final goal is regulation by bandwidth, or allowing the Winlink bots free rein on the ham bands, try reading this: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/About ARRL/Committee Reports/2005/January/19-ARESCOM.pdf Pay particular attention to the part where they say,
    "There is currently insufficient amateur spectrum available for wide-bandwidth, error-free ARQ modes on the HF bands." Looks like they want it all for their email service. Ignore the current situation at your own peril.

KK4CUL likes this.
  6. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think the driving force is boaters. I think it's to establish PACTOR as a standard for ARES and have each ARES organization using PACTOR modem equipped systems at local levels. Would require many times the number of modems the boating community would use.

7. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably some DHS grant idea in there somewhere too ;)

K3KIC likes this.
  8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fact is the airwaves are for sale to the highest bidder period. Been going on for the last 15 years. UHF TV spectrum is/was being sold to cellular. Want to play radio, pay up for it. Will not be long before opposition dies off. That is how you got legal ganja, just had to wait for the Great and Baby Boomers generations to die off with help from education system. With cell phones, there is no need or application for Amateur radio like 8-Track and Cassette tape. Changing times.

9. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, but the problem is the FCC is fairly removed from any proactive enforcement. And ham radio is even further down the list. So we really need the ability to monitor ourselves, so if needs be we can alert the FCC and get them to respond to inappropriate activity.

They don't just drive around in vans like they used to 30+ years ago.

N0NB likes this.
  10. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is the FCC doesn't feel that bandwidth limit proposed by ARRL isn't any better, so FCC denied the request. (ref https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filing/0728122180423/document/0728122180423355c) And I can see their point. What works today, won't down the road. So they view it as a short term fix. Furthermore no other country did anything similar.

So again, seems to me we need a better way to be able know what our our fellow hams are doing. Having to buy single sourced expensive technology just to keep each other honest is a problem. Maybe we need to crowd found some anonymous person to reverse engineer Pactor 4 so we have a software program and the means to decode it.