Why Would You Confess?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Jul 11, 2019 at 4:20 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why Would You Confess?

Reminds me of a certain scene from the movie "Real Men" (1987) with Jim Belushi and the Domme.

2. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

The only rig I usually run at full power is my old Ten Tec belchfire 505 Argonaut which puts out a mighty 3 to 5 watts maximum. Although I typically turn it back to 0.5 or 1 watt when running WSPR.

I think the only time I've operated HF transmitters at more than 100 watts was while I worked as a broadcast engineer in my early days, and while I was in the Navy.

I don't know what I'd do if I had a massive amount of power available to me. I don't think I'd be like a crazy friend of mine who recently took out a 1960s BMW motorcycle that he has slowly rebuilt over the last couple of years. He is my age (72). He put a camera on his helmet so that he could record the speedometer and tachometer. He was hoping to get to 150 mph, but only made it 145! He showed us the video about a week ago. He had accomplices. I'm glad he didn't ask me to assist as a lookout with an FRS radio.:eek:

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

80 mph on the interstate in southern Idaho and portions of western Wyoming as well. Autobahn lite. The only places I have recent experience with.

What's weird is my '03 Impala goes from 23 mpg up to 30 mpg at cruising speeds around 80+. Go figure, it makes no sense and is a repeatable phenomenon. 70 mph=23mpg 80 mph=30mpg every time.

W2AI likes this.
  4. W2AI

It's the same scenario with my '12 Chev Malibu, a four cylinder vehicle......go figure.:)

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of times, 7200 Khz is like....The Jerry Springer Show, Ricky Lake, Maury Povich, old Oprah, a slow motion train wreck, and a burning outhouse....sometimes you just can't turn away.

N1VAU likes this.
  6. KA4ETV

KA4ETV Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of guys have amps that do three of four times the legal limit. It's not illegal to have them it's illegal to use them. Ham radio has really gotten to be one gigantic argument it seems.

WA7PRC and WZ7U like this.
  7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Activity on 7200 should be reassuring that Jurassic Park is drawing that clientele away from other frequencies like a vacuum cleaner.

What you hear on 7200, I’m fairly sure, is the testing of experimental drugs and those past their expiration dates, like an on-air lab for pharmaceutical companies. Can you name the op in the Radon gas study?

8. KA4ETV

KA4ETV Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right. I became a ham over 40 years ago. At that time most of us kids came from CB. We figured that it would be a whole new world of radio where folks were professional on the air and would be more than willing to help us and accept new hams. Boy was I wrong. It didn't take too long to see that ham radio was as bad or even worse in a lot of cases. Some guy cussed me out during my first QSO because I made a made a terminology mistake. My dad and I just sat there in disbelief. Who in the world would use a string of expletives on a 14 year old that was more than polite and trying to operate correctly? Having said that I find some of these frequencies more entertaining than TV or movies.

N7SNR and W2AI like this.
  9. W2AI

Unfortuately, for some posters; amateur radio has become a "way of life" rather than just a hobby for personal amusement. These RF high powered amps you cited that run 4 to 6 KW out are generally commercially made or homebrewed. Running those types of amplifiers at full power requires some heavy duty transmission lines and antennas. Also, you're going to need a dedicated 240 AC volt connection.

Same here on this end. First licensed in 1970 at age 13. Many of the adult hams at that time didn't like the idea of kids "on the radio". The adage, " Children should be seen and not heard" prevailed in the hobby at that time. Personally, I don't engage in arguments with other posters or radio amateurs over the air--it's simply not worth the time nor the effort! More often than not these "disagreements" frequently turn into personal character attacks and the QRZ.com staff and moderators frowns upon this type of conduct on their internet forums.

10. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not illegal to possess or use an amplifier that is capable of operating at an output power greater than the legal limit.