ad: w5yi

Why waste time learning Morse code? HERE IS WHY! And, how to do it.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WA7DU, Aug 25, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The OP addressed the how, but not the why. Personally I switched to CW because it is an achievement to
    learn and ultimately be able to operate CW. This has nothing to do with more advanced modes available
    but with the fact that everybody can pick up a microphone and talk but it takes effort to learn and improve
    CW skills. If it's not hard, it's not really worth doing it IMHO.

73 Mike K5TRI

2. K5UOS

K5UOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bill,

I can't agree entirely. The world hasn't gotten any smaller and morse is still magic to me. For many, many amateurs the relevance has not diminished one bit. Most of us weren't out to save the world but operate just for the pure joy of doing it.

Morse code is a hard earned skill. Not much has changed in the 50 years I have been enjoying the mode. Morse is something personal that helps define many hams. The whole process of copy and send is a matter of intense pride. A good operator certainly has the same self satisfaction a good musician can have.

Granted, its not for everyone. There are many other exciting modes with equally intense advocates.

K5UOS

W5BIB likes this.
  3. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I only post from my experiences of working the world without the use of satellites, internet, etc. It was magic to me as a kid wondering about the far away places and looking at the map and wondering about them. Working the iron curtain countries, and Russia, was the only way to know those people.

No logging programs, no internet look ups, no Google translators, no electronic QSL cards, etc.

I enjoy working CW today and still flash back to the original images.

Different today, not the same, but still the enjoyable magic of CW.
    JMO

W5BIB likes this.
  4. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What's holding you back from working CW on the sats? AO-7 and FO-29 are still around and who knows what's coming
    next (well we kinda know).

5. N7ZAL

Just not interested in Satellites and only work HF CW and a little digital.

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be a lot easier to send morse than to try to key in binary.
    10110, 11010 10011 01100
    .---- ----- .---- .---- -----, .---- .---- ----- .---- -----, .................

7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be interesting to know how age affects the learning of Morse code. Kids who learn a second or third language from birth into their teens can do it almost effortlessly when submersed in these languages. I did -- although I've forgotten much of it. But, it comes back quickly when I use it.

I learned "manual Morse" starting about about 7 or 8 years old. It came naturally.

With other languages, and with Morse code, it does require maintenance as we get older. Many studies have also shown that learning things like languages, as we pass our teen years becomes a lot more difficult. Especially for spoken languages, significant accents from the primary spoken language follow those who learn a second or third language after they are in their late teens.

I believe that Morse is similar. I just wonder if my CW has a distinctive and traceable accent. I find that I can go through periods of being barely able to copy, and then back up into the 25+ wpm range fairly quickly. I know that in my younger days I could identify many operators by the first few characters I would hear. Do we all have distinctive "fists" that reflect how and when we learned the code?

8. N7ZAL

I think it is a lot easier for younger folks to learn the code and base that on my experiences. My friends and me learned Morse at an early age without much effort and would even tap it out on the desk at school.

My Dad had a tech license and wanted to get his general but regardless how much he practiced, he couldn't get to 13 WPM.

Kids have better hearing, reflexes and a brain for learning...that all changes when you get older.

So, yes I think it is easier as a child but not impossible if you are older...if you have the aptitude. JMO

9. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything seems easier when younger.

That said, I have to wonder if someone were to cultivate a desire to keep learning as they get older... if they might do almost as well. Younger is better, but if the mind is being constantly challenged to learn new things, perhaps that albeit older mind will snap up Morse all the easier.

10. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Younger is only easier if the young mind can stay put long enough to develop an obsession. Otherwise its off to the next thing.